If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Stripped Ignition Advancer Bolt on R69S

meredithresidence

Stripped Ignition Advancer Bolt on R69S

Post by meredithresidence »

I own a 1968 BMW R69S. When I try to remove the 6mm bolt which holds the ignition advancer and magneto rotor to the camshaft of my bike, it spins freely in either direction. I suspect the threads of the bolt or the cam or the magneto rotor are stripped. I can get a good grip on the bolt with a pair of vise-grips, but no matter how hard I pull while I'm turning the bolt, I can't get the threads to engage and the bolt just spins around. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the bolt? Thanks!

Gary

808Airhead

You may have to use a

Post by 808Airhead »

You may have to use a miniature slide hammer setup to pull it out.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

schrader7032

Two words...call Vech at

Post by schrader7032 »

Two words...call Vech at Bench Mark Works...OK, 6 words. Find out what your options are and how those options affect what you'll do after you get the bolt out.

In the 1970-on bikes, when this bolt/nut strips and the advance unit can no longer be held on, I seem to recall two possibilites. One is to drill and tap for a larger size bolt. The other, which is easier to do for the /5-on bikes, is to install an electronic ignition which does away with the mechanical advance unit. In the case of the /2, that can also be done with the ignition system triggering off the crankshaft, not the camshaft. That is actually a superior method as it can greatly reduce the vibration due to differential timing when the camshaft tip is bent or the timing unit becomes worn out.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

meredithresidence

Thanks for your advice and

Post by meredithresidence »

Thanks for your advice and the advice of 808 Airhead. Much appreciated.