If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Speedo Rebuild Vendors / forum searches?

wheeler7664

Speedo Rebuild Vendors / forum searches?

Post by wheeler7664 »

Need to have the speedo & odometers rebuilt on my R27.

In short, have heard some negative things about the usual vendors used for rebuilding VDO speedometers.

Have heard good things about Joel Levine in Atlanta, but only with regard to Brit bike instruments.
His web site says he works on VDO instruments, too.
http://www.joellevinecompany.com/default.asp
Has anyone used Mr. Levine to rebuild a BMW bike speedo?

Also, shouldn't the trip odometer on a VDO speedometer have some sort of grommet on the adjustment knob post to keep water out of the housing? Good grief! Mine has no such waterproofing.

Last, is there a way to search the forums here so that I don't beat horses that are already well-dead?

Thanks!

schrader7032

Never heard of Joel Levine in

Post by schrader7032 »

Never heard of Joel Levine in regards to speedos.

My R69S speedo does not have an o-ring...I've heard people will use a well-placed dab of non-setting silicone (or something like that) around the stem and then clean/replace from time to time.

There is a search box in the upper left of the screen. I believe that if you just click on the search without entering any conditions, you'll get a breakout of options to help with narrowing the search. IIRC, the search goes to all parts of the forum; I don't think you can limit it to just the Resources or the Forum, etc. Note that each entry in the Resources have been tagged with something that represents the resource, such as "plunger", "services", "restoration", "parts", etc. When you see tags from one search, you can click on those tags and it will take you to a list of related items.

I believe our illustrious webmaster and search guru is off on at trip right now or he would chime in with more details. He has posted within the forum a mini-tutorial on searching. It might be in the "How to" area. Maybe try to find that...

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wheeler7664

Thanks, Kurt, on all counts!

Post by wheeler7664 »

Thanks, Kurt, on all counts!

Darryl.Richman

Searching on the site

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If you type your search keywords into the search box on the upper left of any page, it will search all of the content on the site; forum postings, resource links, etc. That's the quickest way to find something you need here. As Kurt said, if you only want to see forum postings (for example), then click on the search button with no keywords and you'll be directed to the advanced search page (where you can also search by author as well).

To look for resource links having to do with your speedometer needs, you can use the advanced search, or you can go directly to the Resource Links page and click on the speedometers and instruments tag and then do a search. That will bring up contact information on every business we know of that does that kind of work.

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman