If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Has anyone ever have this problem with rear brake on a r60/2?

espo2000

Has anyone ever have this problem with rear brake on a r60/2?

Post by espo2000 »

Just pulled my bike out storage (sitting in a relatives garage for 5 years!) brought it in for service and got it running--all is good except the rear brake. I'm no mechanic but Basically whenever you hit a bump the rear linkage flips or kinks up and freezes the pedal and the rear brake locks up. Everything is set up to diagrams and matched to pictures- can't figure it out. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks in advance

schrader7032

I haven't looked at this in

Post by schrader7032 »

I haven't looked at this in detail, but is it possible that the lever mechanism near the pedal is set so that it goes "over center"? If something that were to happen, then the brake might be do as you're describing. Not sure if this will help, but read this page on Duane's site:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/rear_brake/index.htm

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Two possibilities: perhaps

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Two possibilities: perhaps the bellcrank is installed incorrectly; this can be done and it changes the geometry of the rear brake. But more likely is that the right rider's footpeg is not completely tight, and when you go over a bump, especially if you get up on the pegs, it moves down a notch and locks the rear brake. Maybe there's some oil or grease that has gotten between the peg and the frame.bbbb
--Darryl Richman