If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R27 Owners Manual

jamesmoc

Update

Post by jamesmoc »

Well, I am happy to say that the engine started on the third kick (once I had reversed the cam tube on the advance plate, it was causing a spark just before the exhaust stroke!) and the timing has been dialled in with a strobe and it sounds great.

[img=640x480]http://web.me.com/jamesmoc/iWeb/BMWR27/ ... G_2171.jpg[/img]

I am not so happy to say that I still have the problem of the flashing charge light. The light is on a low revs like normal and when you give throttle the light flashes internittently and speeds up as you increase throttle. I have rewired the bike in its entirety so I am sure there are no grounding issues related to the wiring. I replaced the regulator with a NOS original bosch regulator with the intention of keeping the bike as original as possible so I don;t think that the regulator is the problem. I have replace the wiring harness, the terminal plate in the headlight shell, the terminal plate in the generator, the condenser, and the brushes. I tried the trick of repolarizing the regulator by touching the red wire briefly to the blue. The coils in the generator are continuous and as far as I can tell the rotor is not rubbing the stator.

Link to Electrics Installation

I have read Allan Athertons and your story Richard, over on the yahoo mono lists, and it seems to be the same story. I am loath to blow a load of money on a new armature, coils etc. and am now thinking of going down the 12v route as I want reliability with this bike. I want to be able to ride it when i want. It now looks great, the engine sounds great so far (not yet ridden yet tho) and I want it to be a rider, not a show piece.

I would appreciate any possible remedies and also views on the 12v powerdynamo installation.

Many thanks.
James

schrader7032

James - Where are you

Post by schrader7032 »

James -

Where are you located? It seems like this ends up being the go-to answer (I'm pretty weak on electrics), but what about touching base with Vech? Someone else had an issue with his R51/3 suspension and Vech answered an email. Worth a shot to see what your options might be...

Allan has pictures of the 12v install on his website. I know someone who went to the system on his R60/2...different than the single cylinder, but he likes it.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jamesmoc

Cork, Ireland - not a town

Post by jamesmoc »

Cork, Ireland - not a town noted for it's vintage BMW mechanics!! I'll drop him a line and see if he can help me out. I would prefer to keep it stock, if it could be relied on.

As an aside, I just came across a R90S for sale that would make a lovely "next" project!

jeff dean

Vech R27 manual

Post by jeff dean »

Here is the line in Vech's parts list:

01 00 9 000 023--$46.90--book owner manual R27 English

http://benchmarkworks.com/onlinestore/partno.htm

If you want to see a manual for the R50, R60, and R69S on line, here it is:

http://bmwdean.com/1966-owners-manual.htm
[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

515PHOTO

Congrats!

Post by 515PHOTO »

Good to here it fired up. As I am still woefully behind you in the rebuild I don't know about the charge light issue but I did notice something you may want to throw at whoever you go to as an expert. That termanal plate on the generator that you replaced. The original looked just like mine does--the D+ connection appears like it burnt off at some point. Don't know what, if anything, it means but it may help someone that knows a bit about the charging system. Anyone know what this may mean?
And yes, get the R90S.
82 R100RT, 64 R60/2, 2018 R1200RT
61 R27 and boy do I need parts-- got any?
Oh no, wifes coming home- get the engine out of the oven!
"Are those bearings in the freezer?!" she calmly inquired

R.D.Green

James - - Just some more

Post by R.D.Green »

James - - Just some more experiences with the charging issue - - I brought the bike at one point to an old friend of mine who is an experienced /2 mechanic. He immediately re-polarized the generator and the problem was gone. I was ecstatic. However, the problem returned after one ride. Tried it again. Same thing. Sometime after that, I had the chance to talk to Vech at the Barber's Vintage Festival. He thought it might be a wiring fault or short somewhere and advised me to change the wiring harness. Despite his advice, I didn't do that, still believing the problem was elsewhere. Someone on the Boxerworks site advised that I install the electronic voltage regulator and turned me onto Zofia Pawelczak Oldtimerelektronic in Hamburg who sells an R27 unit at a very reasonable price. As I said, that was the solution. I think you mentioned that you ordered an electronic regulator but that you have actually installed a new mechanical unit. I think these mechanical units can still have problems even if they are "new" or NOS. If you have the electronic version and haven't installed it, I would try that. I understand your desire for originality but I think it's worth a shot. IMHO, anway....

Richard

jamesmoc

Video of the problem can be

Post by jamesmoc »

Video of the problem can be seen here on youtube

I had changed my order once I found the NOS regulator and cancelled the electronic regulator. Anyway, I got on to Uli's today and ordered a new electronic reg and a nice pair of metzeler block C's to finish off the project nicely. I really hope this solves the problem as simply as yours got sorted in the end. I will probably end up going the 12v route if it is still an issue. It would be unjustifiably expensive to replace the generator, particularly when I want this to be a bike that can be ridden. I'll keep you posted.

jamesmoc

The electronic regulator

Post by jamesmoc »

The electronic regulator arrived from germany today. I found that after polarising the generator it was working fine until I turned on the lights and just like other posters stories, it ceased to function and the red light started flashing again.

I polarised the generator and then disconnected the battery and installed the new unit. It now seems to be working without any issue. I couldn't take it for a ride as new tires are being installed but everything seems to be good now. Hopefully that's the end of the problem and I can go cruising!!

Thanks for the previous advice all.

James