If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Another /6 Electrical Question

schrader7032

Re: Another /6 Electrical Question

Post by schrader7032 »

That high beam light in the tach seems pretty simple. It has one power wire going to it and the other wire goes to ground. The power wire hooks to the small board in the headlight shell. On the other side of that terminal are two wires for power. One goes to the headlight, presumably getting power when the high beam is on. The other wire goes to the handlebar dip switch, so when you go to high beams and also probably when you flash high beams, the tach light should come on.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I can't see on your picture how the fairing is mounted. If I am correct, you should be able to gently pry the rubber seal between the fairing edge and the headlight to get a Philips screw driver on the headlight ring screw. So you shouldn't have to mount and remount the fairing to get into the headlight shell.

Or am I catching something that is not an issue? Very nice looking bike, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Cory
Welcome Back
Great looking bike

The white wire from the high beam indicator light should go to 56a on the terminal board, power from 56a on the h/l flasher switch and also to the original white 56a on the headlight bulb bulb/socket

The yellow low beam wire should connect to 56b on the headlight socket/bulb and to 56b on the headlight h/l flasher switch

You noted the headlight harness colors are different than the original harness colors
Are terminals 56a and 56b revered on the headlight socket/bulb ?
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

srankin wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm
I can't see on your picture how the fairing is mounted. If I am correct, you should be able to gently pry the rubber seal between the fairing edge and the headlight to get a Philips screw driver on the headlight ring screw. So you shouldn't have to mount and remount the fairing to get into the headlight shell.

Or am I catching something that is not an issue? Very nice looking bike, St.
Thank you. The old steed is coming along fairly well. There are some friends/family here who question why I don't try to get it really spiffed and looking new, even new paint, but I patiently explain to them that it's an old survivor and I want it to look that way. Yeah I've cleaned and polished but I feel it's earned its scuffs, scratches, and chips. My thread on DTT is "Old Man's Bike" and that's what it is. Period correct cool stuff like the Lesters, Brown side stand, and the scrounged S fairing and then the modern brakes and LED lighting. Just makin' it mine.

I was out trying to wrap up a couple of things on it today and trying to get my reluctant carb to do it's carb thing and took a closer look at the headlight. If I'm careful I MAY be able to loosen the bucket bolts and point it up enough to get a screw driver into the front. The rubber seal may be glued in place and is relatively stiff (old) so I don't want to stress it too much and there's enough fairing material that goes back under, toward the forks, that there's no way to get a screw driver in that way, it won't tilt down enough. I'm sure I'll replace that seal sometime, would rather not do it right now, though. Taking the fairing off consists of removing two bolts from brackets on the top triple and then removing the turn signals. That isn't too terrible but then you have to spring the bottom of the thing to get one side to get it off the turn signal stalk. It just doesn't seem to me like it's a very good idea to do that very often, especially considering how old the part is and how expensive it would be to replace should I break it. If I can't get to the screw by tilting it up I'll figure out a Plan B.
Last edited by RideSolo on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'75 BMW R90/6 "Rocinante"
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

wa1nca wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 pm
Cory
Welcome Back
Great looking bike

The white wire from the high beam indicator light should go to 56a on the terminal board, power from 56a on the h/l flasher switch and also to the original white 56a on the headlight bulb bulb/socket

The yellow low beam wire should connect to 56b on the headlight socket/bulb and to 56b on the headlight h/l flasher switch

You noted the headlight harness colors are different than the original harness colors
Are terminals 56a and 56b revered on the headlight socket/bulb ?
Thank you!

If/when I open up the bucket I'll check/trace all that. I guess I'm just sorta mystified because I haven't changed anything. I pulled the headlight harness that isn't the correct colors and very carefully traced things through so the right wire was going to the right place even if it isn't the color indicated. Also when plugging in the new relay I unplugged from old 30 into new 30 and etc and then when it was done I checked to see that each was routed to where it is supposed to be. I know the hi filament is lit w/ the hi switch and the lo filament with the low so I'm sure the relay 87 & 87b are correct as well as the 56a and 56b terminals. As mentioned, the only wire to the blue idiot light is the white one so that seems the most likely the culprit, but I didn't touch that one. Oh well, I'll get it. I'll say one thing, this beats going to a job every day!
'75 BMW R90/6 "Rocinante"
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

srankin

Post by srankin »

I see your point, LOL I haven't looked at a S fairing in a while. I have an RT and had an RS, much different headlight systems. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS