If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Sticking Clutch /2

swingwing

Sticking Clutch /2

Post by swingwing »

Hello all. I haven't been here for a while. Life gets in the way, but I got my R60/2 running again and am looking to do some rideing it this summer. I hope to take it to the Oley, PA, AMC show this weekend.

I am having an issue with the clutch. It is free and driveable, but when I am in gear and pull the clutch in, it does not release immediately. I can pop the throttle, and it will release. Is this a symptom of a dry input spline or what other issues may be causing this?

Thanks for the help

Nick

schrader7032

Re: Sticking Clutch /2

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome! I would certainly consider greasing the transmission input splines. I would also be sure you clutch adjustment is correct. You should have 5-6mm of free movement of the shift lever at the back of the transmission and you should also have some free play at the hand lever.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I would assume from your narrative the R 60/2 has been sitting for a while. If that's the case you might just have get it out and ride a little to loosen up the bond between the clutch disc and the pressure plate. My R 60US sat for a while and it was so stuck I ended up pulling the transmission just to get it free and ridable again. I do agree with the suggestions from "schrader7032" but would make an attempt to loosen things up after you confirm proper adjustment of the free play at the transmission and lever.

swingwing

Post by swingwing »

Thank you for the advise. I will check the adjustment and then ride it for a while to see if it gets better before tearing it apart to trouble shoot