If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What is the ideal rider height?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm a little over 6 foot and about 185 lbs. I feel a bit cramped on my R69S. But the bike handles just fine. I haven't seen any pictures of myself on the bike but my knees are bent more than 90 degrees. I have seen pictures of myself on my /7 and to me I look a little big for the bike, so I'm guessing that's exaggerated some on the /2.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and a bit north of either of you in mass. The /2 bikes have a short reach to the pegs, and if you're a kneescraper, you'll find cornering clearance pretty limited. But for me, that's not really the point.

The plunger frame bikes are even lower, so you might want to keep that in mind. I took the MSF ERC class on my /3 and dragged the pipes all the way through the U-turn box. The other students thought it pretty entertaining, and I only used about 2/3rds of the allocated space for the maneuver...

--Darryl Richman

Allan.Atherton

Re: What is the ideal rider height?

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Just curious to know whether I'll dwarf one of the vintage bikes like the R50. I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. Will handling be pretty restricted? Will I look like I'm riding a clown bike? hehe
I am 6-2 and have tried all the seat and handlebar combos. Due to your long arms, the solo seat with US bars with risers in the front holes will sit you bolt upright, if not leaning backwards. With a solo seat, you might need the risers not only in the front holes, but turned around pointing forwards, which looks odd. With a bench seat and Euro bars to reach for, you might be able to scoot back enough without reversing the risers. The /2 still has a low saddle height and your knees will be very bent.

wetworx

Post by wetworx »

Thanks for the comments, I'll have to keep that riser bar tip in mind. Hopefully I'll get myself to the Classic Motorcycle Day to see for myself.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Just curious to know whether I'll dwarf one of the vintage bikes like the R50. I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. Will handling be pretty restricted? Will I look like I'm riding a clown bike? hehe
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

I’m about 6’2”, 230 and have NO problems…..Earls and plunger.. plungers do feel a bit small but all are magic carpet rides
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

If you are used to riding modern bikes of normal size, or even large vintage bikes (Harley), the Earles bikes will feel tiny. I'm 5' 8" and 165 and they feel small, but perfectly proportional to me. But I also ride a GL1800 and Honda CBXs. At 6' 4", I'd think I was on a Honda Mini-Trail.

Dave
Dave

FL54

Post by FL54 »

Daves79x wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:40 am
If you are used to riding modern bikes of normal size, or even large vintage bikes (Harley), the Earles bikes will feel tiny. I'm 5' 8" and 165 and they feel small, but perfectly proportional to me. But I also ride a GL1800 and Honda CBXs. At 6' 4", I'd think I was on a Honda Mini-Trail.

Dave
I ride primarily ‘60’s era Harleys and they have been aptly described as “overweight, underpowered and handle like a wheelbarrow with a flat tire.” I’m around 6’1” and 200 lbs. I really enjoy it when it’s the R50 /2’s turn in the rotation. Light, nimble and so much fun to ride.
Central Oregon

Seek

Post by Seek »

Average size of a German man in 1960 was 1.79 meter. So there is your answer.

cwf

Post by cwf »

I'm 6' 2" and a skinny Euro size. I rode /6s and /7s for years, always with US high-rise bars and a full fairing and I used to think I was Mr Average for German designers, everything fitted just right.

Now I'm older and the joints aren't so flexible, a 50/2 that is lower and lighter suits me fine. I have to watch my feet when cornering and feel the US seat pushes me forward a little but so what? I'm on the road again.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.