If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 Seat Parts

Fred Heiler

/2 Seat Parts

Post by Fred Heiler »

Does anyone have a scrap two-up seat from the 1960s that uses eight strings of flat coil springs? I'm looking to use these strings of coils to restore the seat on my first bike, a 1967 R60 that I bought new.

Its stock seat uses a rubber slab that's badly split (but no longer available). However, other identical-looking seats of that era use the strings of coils, which can be easily adapted to my seat. I have a new cover and foam; I just need the springs to replace the rubber slab. Yeah, I know I could replace the seat, but I'd love to restore the original one.
Fred Heiler: Chester Springs, PA
1967 BMW R60
1967 BMW 1500 (VW)
1971 BMW R75/5
1964 Cobra 427
1965 Porsche 356 SC
1986 Porsche 911

staggerlee

Re: /2 Seat Parts

Post by staggerlee »

you may have already looked at ebay. hope this helps. my 67 is a little different than this one but hopefully this is what you need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375345183208?i ... R4SirIDWYw

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

That's a dual wide seat frame and spring set up and may not be the same as the standard dual seat. At some point the reproduction seat that is available and very expensive may be an option.

Fred Heiler

Post by Fred Heiler »

Thanks, staggerlee and tinkertimejeff! I just need to see the underside of a seat, to make sure it has strings of coils rather than a single slab of rubber like mine. The two designs seem to have been used interchangeably in the 1960s, and they both looked the same from the top.

Separately, I think you're right -- that's the wider seat that hangs over the shock towers. Look comfortable, but I never rode on one.

Fred Heiler
Fred Heiler: Chester Springs, PA
1967 BMW R60
1967 BMW 1500 (VW)
1971 BMW R75/5
1964 Cobra 427
1965 Porsche 356 SC
1986 Porsche 911

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

The two different designs of seat were used because BMW did not make them themselves, they bought them in, so they used two different firms as a way of keeping the price down, as they also did with horns and speedometers, this practice was a hangover from the days when these items were accessories added by the customer or dealer. It is also worth mentioning that the dual seats, in Europe at any rate, were extra-cost options, the rubber single saddle and carrier were the basic default
The rubber carcased seat was supplied by Schorsh Meier, the springy one was by Denfeld, but I have been told that they were all actually manufactured by Denfeld.
They are both just as good, but from 60 years on, the Meier is prone to perishing while the springs of the Denfeld can rust. They both rust generally so it is important to clean it off and paint it appropriately, certainly on bikes from Europe which have seen a lot of rain. The foams are mostly a bit crumbly by now.
Fred, it is possible to replace the rubber carcase, I used some corded belting which is made for the scrapers on sewage works, but any thick rubber would do as long as it is flexible enough, once the foam and cover are on it will look just the same.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

staggerlee

Post by staggerlee »

Fred, i have this one but i dont know if it is narrow or wide.
measured from top of seat cover from stripe to stripe and is 8" at passenger point (curved the tape)
measured from stripe to stripe at widest part and is 11" (curved the tape to measure)

measuring the underside where from metal frame to metal frame where the rear bracket is and the other should be is 7-1/2"

the rubber and springs look okay. the frame is so rusty and a bracket weld is broken off.

let me know if this will help you

Attachments
pro-A0HGHEDy.jpeg
pro-xHFPYk4M.jpeg
pro-KedinNyT.jpeg
pro-izubJr8n.jpeg
pro-f8cfgkdi.jpeg
pro-DO8g3TUH.jpeg
pro-cvne7IeQ.jpeg
pro-a2Y9oAaP.jpeg