If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1981 R80 G/S VIN LOCATION

pigmyrider

1981 R80 G/S VIN LOCATION

Post by pigmyrider »

Hi folks, new to this forum

Trying to sell my beast and cannot find the 17 digits stamped anywhere on the frame. The engine and frame 7 digit serial number match, but that is where it ends. There is a corroded silver sticker with a grid pattern on frame tube under right cylinder, I suspect that may have been where that number was but it is long covered by corrosion. I imagine it was readable at some point since there is a 17 digit VIN on the title I got in 2008 here in NM.

Any thoughts or ideas? Is there anywhere else I haven't looked? There is nothing on either side of that sticker, I hear sometimes the vin was stamped there (snowbum and interested buyer).

Thanks!!!

PigmyRider

Darryl.Richman

Re: 1981 R80 G/S VIN LOCATION

Post by Darryl.Richman »

No, that's where BMW put it, you have it right. Try using some putty to pick up what's on the frame so you can inspect it closely.
--Darryl Richman

pigmyrider

Post by pigmyrider »

Thanks Darryl, but numbers are not embossed on sticker. There is nothing but black cooked areas that are perfectly placed to obscure that crucial area, probably caused by the exhaust being right under it. I wish there was something for putty to pick up! The only thing that shows up when I try putty is that wavy diamond pattern.

Probably the worst place ever to place that thing.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am not familiar with GS bikes however the other bikes sometime have the VIN number stamped on the right side steering head boss. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Sorry to hear that there's nothing left there. My '81 R65 has an odd, puffy sort of white plastic sticker that had the VIN printed and embossed on it; it was printed with a dot matrix kind of printer originally. Only the last 7 digits of the VIN are stamped on the right downtube from the steering head. Even though the printing is long gone on my bike, the VIN can still be read by using putty.

You can get an official document from BMW about your bike's VIN from BMW's Classic Group, but it costs 125€, and you will probably still have difficulty with your DMV.

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/off ... enter.html
--Darryl Richman

nchirikos

Post by nchirikos »

Here is my VIN location (also unreadable)
R80 GS VIN.jpg
. Also, the last part of the VIN on the right downtube Image
R80 GS VIN on frame.jpg
. hope this helps.