If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R90S head chamber volume

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
JCWorks

R90S head chamber volume

Post by JCWorks »

Hi!

I had a smoking issue on my 1975 R90S, dismantled the head and cylinder and realized rings were shot. So the smoking issue would be easily cured. I thought... at first.

Then I had a closer look at the cylinder head and gasket. The gasket was a 2.75 mm copper decompression plate and the cylinder head had been milled basically flat. Original owner was a well known race guy, so he probably did some work on the engine, including dual plugs. Then another guy kind-of rebuilt the engine and probably wanted it back to original spec without having to spend a fortune on original-spec heads. Well, that was background.... Now the issue:

Does anyone here know the chamber volume of an orginal R90S-head? I would like to do some maths to make sure I get the compression ratio correct.

srankin

Re: R90S head chamber volume

Post by srankin »

JC, if you don't get an answer here in the Vintage club, try some of the other clubs on the web.

Meanwhile I will ask my AU R90 expert if he knows. Good luck St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

JCWorks

Post by JCWorks »

Thank you, Srankin. I´m not really that good with forums so if anybody has a suggestion where to find a good source for R90S-info, I´d be listening :)

srankin

Post by srankin »

Sadly JC a lot of the old R90S sources are going away. My friend in AU ran a website for years until his last accident.

He did not know the answer to your question but suggested you contact Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing.
http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

The only other source might be SnowBum who is a contributor to the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners.

Good luck St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

bmstan

Post by bmstan »

My 1975 R90s with a plug fitted to a clean head, no carbon, is 87cc level to the head gasket face.