If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Trip Meter won't reset

cwf

Re: Trip Meter won't reset

Post by cwf »

The best sort of repair : a bit of effort, you learn something and it costs nothing. Well done.

But about running until you go on to reserve, when I rebuilt my 50/2, I ran it until reserve, switched over and ... nothing. The tank was empty and I had replaced the two plastic tubes the wrong way round. OK, fixed that and tried again.

I switched over and ran out after 4 miles. Fortunately it was only a mile to push, only slightly uphill. I checked the switch again and it was fine, so I carry a full 5-litre fuel can with me, but why I get only 4 or 5 miles on reserve I can't work out. There is about an inch difference in tube height, there's only one fuel switch and a balance pipe.

When I ran /6 and /7s. I noticed that, if I switched to reserve when on the motorway, I would get more miles than if I switched when in town or on small, twisty roads, presumably because then the fuel was sloshing around and so fed the carbs for a few miles more, so there were fewer miles on reserve but still 25 to 30 miles. A mystery.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Charlie-
By your description, it sounds like an integrity issue with the plastic pipes, or an obstruction in the reserve side of the petcock.
Don't like the idea of dashing about London with a spare fuel can strapped onboard, whether backstreets or the circular roads.
Best-
George

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

cwf wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:49 pm
The best sort of repair : a bit of effort, you learn something and it costs nothing. Well done.

But about running until you go on to reserve, when I rebuilt my 50/2, I ran it until reserve, switched over and ... nothing. The tank was empty and I had replaced the two plastic tubes the wrong way round. OK, fixed that and tried again.

I switched over and ran out after 4 miles. Fortunately it was only a mile to push, only slightly uphill. I checked the switch again and it was fine, so I carry a full 5-litre fuel can with me, but why I get only 4 or 5 miles on reserve I can't work out. There is about an inch difference in tube height, there's only one fuel switch and a balance pipe.

When I ran /6 and /7s. I noticed that, if I switched to reserve when on the motorway, I would get more miles than if I switched when in town or on small, twisty roads, presumably because then the fuel was sloshing around and so fed the carbs for a few miles more, so there were fewer miles on reserve but still 25 to 30 miles. A mystery.
I am sure the petcock is correct. I have already had to switch to reserve once. It surprised me because I thought there was still quite a bit of gas left in the tank. I do like your idea of also testing how far I can get on reserve. I don't have anywhere to attach a gas can on the R27, so I'll have to enlist a partner in another vehicle for this.
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA