If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Trip Meter won't reset

Worleybird89

Trip Meter won't reset

Post by Worleybird89 »

My 1962 R27 has a trip meter, but it won't reset. It is currently at 531 miles and it is increasing. The last time it was reset was probably when the bike was restored. The knob is secured with the set screw. If I try to push or pull the knob, it moves maybe a half a mm. I can twist the knob about 2 or 3 degrees, which feels like slack, then it won't twist any farther in either direction. Since I don't really know how it is supposed to work, I am afraid to use any more force. I tried looking in my R26 R27 Workshop Manual and I scoured through all of the 1960s User Manuals the library on this website, and none of them even mention or show a trip meter. I discovered from a forum search that it might not even be real clear what models/years included trip meters. My 1967 R60/2 does not have one. I have not sprung for the Barrington manual yet. I am hoping some of you can educate me in the proper function of the trip meter reset knob, and may even have an idea why it seems to be stuck.
Attachments
20240328_003058.jpg
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA

schrader7032

Re: Trip Meter won't reset

Post by schrader7032 »

My R69S has a trip meter. It turns in order to return the numbers to 000. I don't remember which way it turns, though.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

I'm pretty sure that's not the original speedometer, it should only go to 90 on an R27. My '64-built R27 has a trip meter. They can be rebuilt, I'm not sure how much they are used. Mine was in pretty sad shape and inop when I got the bike, for about $300 including shipping it looks and works like new now thanks to Joe's Speedometer in California.

Mine has no play, a little resistance but I definitely don't have to force it. It goes through tactile clicks as it lines up the three numbers, with a more definite tactile click when it lands on 000.
PXL_20240303_210310152.jpg
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

Well that makes me wonder if I have the correct speedo on my R60. It does have a sidecar and I assume the speedometer ratio is matched to the sidecar final drive, but I also have the solo final drive to swap out, should I decide to remove the sidecar.
20181006_144510.jpg
David Worley
College Station, TX
USA

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

pmtremblay wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am
I'm pretty sure that's not the original speedometer, it should only go to 90 on an R27. My '64-built R27 has a trip meter. They can be rebuilt, I'm not sure how much they are used. Mine was in pretty sad shape and inop when I got the bike, for about $300 including shipping it looks and works like new now thanks to Joe's Speedometer in California.

Mine has no play, a little resistance but I definitely don't have to force it. It goes through tactile clicks as it lines up the three numbers, with a more definite tactile click when it lands on 000.

PXL_20240303_210310152.jpg
If the speedometer and odometer primary functions stop working properly, I'll consider sending it off to repair, but I'll call the stuck reset knob a mild inconvenience at this point. Now knowing that it is supposed to turn to reset the digits individually, I tried twisting a little harder. The numbers definitely start to move when I twist counter-clockwise, but I can't get it to turn any farther without using pliers. It looks like they all want to spin simultaneously. When I try to twist clockwise, there seems to be more resistance, and the numbers don't appear to move. Is counter-clockwise the correct direction?

I have a list of parts replaced during the restoration in 2015, and speedometer is not on it. What happened between 1962 and 2015, I have no idea. I agree, 31, 48, and 68 MPH seem quite high for max speed in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear on the R27. The closest to that I could find in documentation suggests it might belong on a R60/2 with solo final drive? I a more puzzled by the max speed indicators on my R60 speedo. 16, 36, and 51 MPH? That has to be sidecar gearing, but I haven't found the model that syncs up to yet.
David Worley
College Station, TX
USA

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The 1.44 number on the dial would indicate that it is to be mated with an R60 and sidecar...the rear drive would be 27:7.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

The real question is "is it accurate?" The standard R27 I think is a 1.74. My speedo and odometer are surprisingly accurate, they differ from a GPS log by maybe a quarter-mile over 100+ mile trips. The trip meter is a great fuel gauge. Definitely clockwise on the turn, I just checked. The numbers turn independently until they line up, then all turn together.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi David-
My recollection is the tripmeter was incorporated on bikes destined for the US, though maybe not available in the earliest years of Earles bikes. (B&S also spec'd BMW to include things like passenger pegs/sidestand/benchseat/US bars for the US market)

As Kurt said, the 1,44 speedo is for sidecar gearing, specifically the 27:7 gears.
You may want to verify with a quick check what gears are currently in your machine, just to see if they match the installed speedo; this in case you do decide to go solo, as the 27:7 speedo and gearset are highly sought after.
BMW spec'd early Earles twins with 26:6 gears, and the /2 with the 27:7 set.

As for resetting the tripmeter- When not in use the knob rests on the rubber bush in the glass; when resetting the knob is lifted to engage the gears, engagement is felt at the top of extension. (refer to pics showing height difference between rest and engaged)
Turning the knob CW increases the numbers shown, turning CCW decreases the numbers; I turn in whichever direction is closest to zero out.

Just went out to the frozen barn to verify my memory of this, and found the knob to be stuck. (it was registering 536 mi. from last fall's rides, pretty close to yours...)
I used the tips of needle nose pliers under the knob, fulcruming off the bezel, to gently lift the knob; it was stubborn, and so proceeded slowly, not wanting to dent the bezel or crack the glass.
After full extension, it was pushed it in and out a number of times to loosen up till moving freely, before zeroing out.

As a lad the bike was often my only form of transport, and I was skint more often than not, and so ran for years and years with no functioning speedo.
These days I have more appreciation, and use, for speedo/odo/trip meter, and so it got rebuilt about ten years ago.

Dysfunction of the unit is mostly down to hardening of the lubricant, and the havoc that consequently raises between those moving and non-moving gears.
Probably most of the cost of the rebuild is in the disassembly/cleaning/lubing/reassembly, rather than in actual parts replacement, so perhaps no harm in waiting till other functions fail.

As Patrick said, the speedos can be quite accurate, with good tire and air pressure choice.

Best-
George
IMG_4042.jpg
IMG_4041.jpg

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

schrader7032 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am
The 1.44 number on the dial would indicate that it is to be mated with an R60 and sidecar...the rear drive would be 27:7.
The speedo pic with 1.44 is my R60/2 with sidecar. It does have the correct 27:7 final drive. I have the solo final drive in a box with a handful of other spare parts. I had doubts about it being the correct speedometer because 16MPH max in first gear (on the dial) is not consistent with most of the user manuals which suggest from 19 to 22 for max MPH for 1st gear after break-in.

There is no ratio on the face of the speedo on my R27. It's the first picture with VDO at the top and 0-120 MPH. The restoration was done by Bench Mark Works in 2015, so I am pretty confident the speedometer will be accurate. Just for fun, I'll do some straight line GPS comparisons on both bikes in the near future.
David Worley
College Station, TX
USA

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

It took getting quite a bit more aggressive than I would have imagined. Needlenose against the bezel was starting to deform the bezel, even with some thin cardboard as a buffer. I ended up with medium sized vice grips with a rag around the knob, pulling up and twisting, gradually working it loose until it finally started working. For the first time in at least 8 1/2 years, the trip meter is back to 000! Time to top off the gas tank and see how many miles I can go before switching to reserve!
Attachments
20240329_231437.jpg
David Worley
College Station, TX
USA