If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

EARLES VS US FORK

flyingtpot

Re: EARLES VS US FORK

Post by flyingtpot »

From decades of riding thousands of miles on the 55-69 Twins and from the maintenance/rebuilding of them:

-Each fork type has its pluses and minuses.
-The Earles fork is robust and ideal for sidecar use. This fork design allows the motorcycle to retain its wheelbase, which is helpful when in use with a sidecar.
-For some owners/riders the Earles fork defines the 55-69 Twins. It is the 'looks' that matter.
-The function of the Earles fork on a solo machine for me is not that impressive, compared to the use of a 'tuned' telescopic fork design.
-The telescopic forks allow the 55-69 Twins to have excellent 'handling' ability. The use of tapered roller neck bearings, /5 damper internals, modern fork oil and modern tires allow the telescopic fork to be an ideal 'upgrade' to these twins. Also....the use of the US telescopic forks, 27/8 final drive and a 4.00-18 rear tire further enhances the efficiency and capability of these machines.
-As per the brakes, upgrade to a modern quality lining with them bonded to the shoes. The machine will now have more efficient front AND rear brakes.

fastcar

Post by fastcar »

Nice looking 69US! Looks like you have the low bars, which is what my dad went to, as well. Love the 2 into 1! Good point about on the stand vs. off - thanks.

CR
johnlacko wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:19 am
I’ve owned several of each type over the last 30+ years, and the only one parked in my garage for the last 12 years is my R69US. To me it’s much more nimble a ride. But to each his own. I saw some comments about the forks being too long, but I’m not sure if they mean ‘in use’, or parked on the center stand. I think there is close to 8” of travel in the telescopics, which I’d guess is at least double the travel on the Earles, so on the stand that will show more. I never measured it. But in the normal riding position, the forks don’t look any different to me than they do on a /5 or later. So unless I ever decide to have a sidecar bike again, I’m good. jl
IMG_4427.jpeg

fastcar

Post by fastcar »

Thanks for your input.

This may very well have been my father's experience after switching to US. He didn't want to go back.

Thanks for the other tips. I'm looking at new tires right now, and considering a modern 110/90 18 which many have said is a real leap forward.

I'll find out about my gear ratio, not sure what that is...

My shop recommended keeping the existing brakes and just tuning them well, as new linings would need bedding over a few thousand miles, and retuning a few times and he knows I don't ride that much.

For many, the Earles v US debate is much like the 'original' vs 'restomod' debate. In a big way it comes down to aesthetics and which gives you the most joy. I love the look of the Earles, but have decided to KISS the project for now and leave the forks dad put on in place... Alas, I love the look of Searle's dual disc Earles front end setup, though! If he's improved on the function of the springs/dampers, this may allow the best of both worlds!

CR
flyingtpot wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:51 am
From decades of riding thousands of miles on the 55-69 Twins and from the maintenance/rebuilding of them:

-Each fork type has its pluses and minuses.
-The Earles fork is robust and ideal for sidecar use. This fork design allows the motorcycle to retain its wheelbase, which is helpful when in use with a sidecar.
-For some owners/riders the Earles fork defines the 55-69 Twins. It is the 'looks' that matter.
-The function of the Earles fork on a solo machine for me is not that impressive, compared to the use of a 'tuned' telescopic fork design.
-The telescopic forks allow the 55-69 Twins to have excellent 'handling' ability. The use of tapered roller neck bearings, /5 damper internals, modern fork oil and modern tires allow the telescopic fork to be an ideal 'upgrade' to these twins. Also....the use of the US telescopic forks, 27/8 final drive and a 4.00-18 rear tire further enhances the efficiency and capability of these machines.
-As per the brakes, upgrade to a modern quality lining with them bonded to the shoes. The machine will now have more efficient front AND rear brakes.

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

Forgot to write....My sincere condolences on your your Father's passing. It is kool that the motorcycle has passed on to you to preserve and ride.

Being that it is a '67. it most probably has the 25/8 final drive. Then again. your Father being an engineer (as that is also some of my background) may have swapped out the 25/8 FD for a 27/8 if it did not have one.
fastcar wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:15 pm
Thanks for your input.

This may very well have been my father's experience after switching to US. He didn't want to go back.

Thanks for the other tips. I'm looking at new tires right now, and considering a modern 110/90 18 which many have said is a real leap forward.

I'll find out about my gear ratio, not sure what that is...

My shop recommended keeping the existing brakes and just tuning them well, as new linings would need bedding over a few thousand miles, and retuning a few times and he knows I don't ride that much.

For many, the Earles v US debate is much like the 'original' vs 'restomod' debate. In a big way it comes down to aesthetics and which gives you the most joy. I love the look of the Earles, but have decided to KISS the project for now and leave the forks dad put on in place... Alas, I love the look of Searle's dual disc Earles front end setup, though! If he's improved on the function of the springs/dampers, this may allow the best of both worlds!

CR
flyingtpot wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:51 am

fastcar

Post by fastcar »

Thanks flyingtpot, much appreciated.

As much of a nerd as he was, Dad was all about the 'top end' so probably didn't change the gears! :lol:
flyingtpot wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:06 pm
Forgot to write....My sincere condolences on your your Father's passing. It is kool that the motorcycle has passed on to you to preserve and ride.

Being that it is a '67. it most probably has the 25/8 final drive. Then again. your Father being an engineer (as that is also some of my background) may have swapped out the 25/8 FD for a 27/8 if it did not have one.

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

Your restoring your Father's BMW. That is very kool!!
fastcar wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:44 pm
Thanks flyingtpot, much appreciated.

As much of a nerd as he was, Dad was all about the 'top end' so probably didn't change the gears! :lol:
flyingtpot wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:06 pm