If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fabulous R90S For Sale, see Bring a Trailer

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
kirkpatrick3890

Fabulous R90S For Sale, see Bring a Trailer

Post by kirkpatrick3890 »

Mark Francois has another of his fabulously restored R90Ss up for auction on Bring a Trailer, they are the best I have ever seen, see
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-bmw-r90s-29/
Mac Kirkpatrick
President, VBMWO

srankin

Re: Fabulous R90S For Sale, see Bring a Trailer

Post by srankin »

I don't get it, a "restored" bike, sells for $60,000 while a original low mile bike has been on the market for about a month listed for $14K.
No disrespect to Mark, he did a beautiful job and the bike is worth something but???? St.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/197 ... 5030209696
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I'm not sure why the restored bike got $60k, but there are a number of reasons why it might sell for significantly more than the original bike.
  • Daytona Orange is more popular than Silver Smoke (there may be more DO bikes now than the factory made...)
  • The original SS bike has a number of paint dings, which are difficult to touch up and expensive to redo, as well as a small crease in the tank.
  • The restored DO bike looks like just came off the showroom floor, everything has been vapor blasted so the castings are deep clean, everything has been polished, no blueing on the pipes, etc. The original SS is clean but obviously has been ridden. (This is like curb appeal for houses, although I prefer an original, clean bike because I'm going to ride it anyway.)
  • The original SS bike has newer 90° petcocks for some reason. I can't tell about the original bike, but the restored DO bike has had the clock works replaced with those of a later clock to keep it looking original.
--Darryl Richman

srankin

Post by srankin »

Okay, the silver bike has a few issues, still it is reasonable priced not astronomical. Sorry no R90S is worth $60K unless it is the first bike off the assembly line in original low mile condition. Or perhaps only one of 1000 made.

I am sorry, BAT auctions just reenforce my thinking that some people have more money than sense. Then again, I don't buy bikes to look at, I buy them to ride and for 60K, I could buy more than one bike I have on my list of wanted bikes. St.

RockiesRider

Post by RockiesRider »

I am brand new to this group and noticed the thread and the timeframe and wondered if the silver bike referenced might be the one I just had delivered from Michigan as the link is no longer on Cycle Trader.

It is my first airhead and second BMW with the first being my retirement gift from my wife last June, a 2023 R1250 GSA Trophy.

The bike in question is a 76 in TT Silver Smoke with 9800 miles. Near mint except for a meh repaired rock chip on the fairing and a couple rock scratches near the wind screen and a small ding in the bottom edge of the tank that shows when on the side stand. Overall it is in better shape than I hoped and I am over the moon as this was my dream bike in my teens and early twenties but had to settle for an XS1000 Yamaha (fine bike) because $3400 was a kings ransom to me then. Bike idled well on the videos that BMW of Southeast Michigan put together but is fairly rough at Colorado altitude so I will need to adjust and re-jet if required. The bike is all original so I will be picking your brains on the forums on which electronic ignition conversion to go with and the tips I need to understand when working on an old Beemer. Inline fours and V-twins comprise my background to date.

It will not remain low miles as I bought it to enjoy and ride. Hoping to take it across country next year. This year is AK on the GS. I am looking forward to riding it on the Distinguished Gentlemen’s Ride this year on May 19.

I agree that $60k seems steep but I have also read that his restorations are gorgeous - the first I thought might be a fluke. The second looks like it may be a market shift like other models have seen over the past 15-years or so. Examples like my old Kawasaki two-stroke 750 triple that I bought from my roommate 40-years ago for $400 are selling for $20K plus…

I don’t even know enough about boxers to be dangerous yet, so what do I know. I try to be a quick learner though and look forward to getting to know this group.
New BMW owner - ‘76 R90S; ‘23 R1250 GSA Trophy

srankin

Post by srankin »

It has been awhile but yes I believe the silver bike is the one you got. Have a great time riding it. St.