If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Where is the best place to buy rubber parts?

metoo

Where is the best place to buy rubber parts?

Post by metoo »

Hi,

I'm into BMW motorrad world for over a year and something that is frustrating me is that almost 3 out of 4 rubber parts that I'm buying are getting cracked. some after a month, others longer. I'm bought rubber parts from some well known bmw online parts store dealers and also from ebay & aliexpress. most have been cracked...

So, my question is: from where to buy the best quality rubber parts?

Goro F

Re: Where is the best place to buy rubber parts?

Post by Goro F »

hello
in general very good quality components, not only rubber parts, i bought from Salis

https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/

i also share the link to tech tip to clean rubber parts (don't know if it could be interest for you)

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/p ... ber-parts/

ciao

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Great question-
That's been a pet peeve of many of us for years.

Like many, I've replaced various rubber bits that have been on bikes for decades only to have the replacements look just as bad as the originals in short order.
I've bought from both European and domestic suppliers with same results, on complaint the predominant reply is that the parts are of European manufacture, and pollution constraints on manufacture are the issue.
Differences in the quality of the same rubber bit between different suppliers has lead me to believe that excuse is at least partially blowing smoke; I believe some of these products are just flat out very poor quality raw material, produced knowing the overall reputation these rubber products.

I'm hoping that some suppliers monitor the forum and will understand there is a market willing to spend a bit more for quality products that last.

I think it would be good to hear, here on the forums, about both success and failures others have had/are having with these rubber bits.

My last batch of all the rubber bits for a /2 was from Uli's, maybe 4-5 years ago.
The worst were the pushrod tubes: the cracking looked identical to the 40 year old ones that came off the engine within one year.
Next, at about a year and a half, was the cracking driveshaft boot.
And at maybe 3 years was the kickstart rubber.
The best has been the silent blocks (the shock mount bushings) which, knock wood, still appear to look and function as they should.

I've lately heard good reports on the rubber bits coming from EME, and that's where my upcoming order will be sent.
Best-
George

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

I ordered a full set of rubber parts for a bike I went through 2 years ago from EME. Pushrod tube rubbers are already cracking, drive boot, etc etc.

The time involved in installing these vs the time they last is ridiculous.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

It is hit or miss with rubber bits. The pushrod tube rubbers are notorious for cracking if compressed, I recently bought some from BMW and they look to be much better quality. Mark Swiss has been making parts for BMW so that might be a good option. www.bmwbike.com
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

metoo

Post by metoo »

Slash2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:51 pm
I ordered a full set of rubber parts for a bike I went through 2 years ago from EME. Pushrod tube rubbers are already cracking, drive boot, etc etc.

Yhe... that's my problem, I need do replace the pushrod tube rubbers & driveshaft boot and I just don't trust rubbers on the market now.

I think I'll look for NOS parts. Maybe I'll find late production that are still fresh.

BTW, the magura rubber handles are great quality and will not crack, that means that you can produce good quality rubber parts this days

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

metoo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:45 am
Slash2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:51 pm

Yhe... that's my problem, I need do replace the pushrod tube rubbers & driveshaft boot and I just don't trust rubbers on the market now.

I think I'll look for NOS parts. Maybe I'll find late production that are still fresh.

BTW, the magura rubber handles are great quality and will not crack, that means that you can produce good quality rubber parts this days
I’ve pulled original pushrod tube rubbers out of a 1955 R50 that were still supple and in perfect condition vs 1 year old rubbers from popular domestic vendors crumbling. It’s really disgraceful that these vendors are peddling this garbage.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

strichzwei

Post by strichzwei »

Mmmhhhh, I have some vintage NOS rubber parts that I have been hesitant to use, maybe I need to rethink this.......