If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine slows

dellatorre6708

Engine slows

Post by dellatorre6708 »

A friend replaced the clutch on his R69 US and now when he pulls the clutch in the motor slows almost to a stall. Any thoughts as to why?
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
Frank,
NYC

808Airhead

Re: Engine slows

Post by 808Airhead »

Did he replace the clutch diaphragm with a higher tension one?
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Don't think so. I'll ask.
Frank,
NYC

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

With the motor stopped and the bike in neutral, does the clutch free off, i.e does the kick-start go free when the clutch is operated? Does it do this in neutral or in gear, or both? Does the bike try to lurch forward?
Oil is always cheaper than metal

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

The owner says motor runs fine in neutral and under speed. When shifted into gear the motor slows down. The owner is going to bring it to me so I can take a look. I don't know how a clutch replacement would change how it shifted before? The only thing I can think of is the new plate is too thick and not releasing. I asked to see the old plate. Probably have to remove the clutch and compare thicknesses.
Frank,
NYC

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

Yes, it does sound as though it might be dragging, easy to test, with the engine stopped and G/B in neutral, put a foot on the kickstart and find compression, pull the clutch lever and the kickstart pedal should go down with no resistance whatsoever, if it does not, it isn't freeing off, before pulling anything to bits check that there isn't excessive clearance on the actuating pushrod, this can easily get forgotten.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

Another possibility is that when the clutch is squeezed, the pressure is pushing the crankshaft forward. Obviously, that is not good. To check, pull the front cover, and then start the bike, and let it warm up. Then shut it down, and place a fingertip on the generator armature and the generator field simultaneously, and with the other hand, squeeze the clutch. In a normal situation, you will feel a very slight movement of the crankshaft forward when the clutch is squeezed.
Anything more than that, There is a problem, and the engine must be torn down and checked.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Thanks for all of the tips. I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Be fun to pick up a wrench again.
Frank.
NYC
Frank,
NYC