If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/5 won’t start has spark

DHUTTON

Re: R60/5 won’t start has spark

Post by DHUTTON »

Are your new plug wires resister type? or just modern auto motive type?

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Don't forget Murphy's law for trouble shooting engines:
When you are ABSOLUTELY SURE the problem is with the ignition system it turns out to be the carburetor and vise versa. I once pulled the engine cover off because I was sure the magnet had come loose. After finding it had not, I checked the fuel level and, after screaming "YOU IDIOT" at the top of my lungs, switched the reserve on and rode home.

Craig

By the way; did you check to see if the magnet was loose? That can make your timing change while riding.

SharkAttackTime

Post by SharkAttackTime »

Figured I update this a little still can’t figure it out. Pulled the black connector wire cleaned it but it looks fine just some dust. The plug wires are from Euro Motoelectrics they say they’re for airheads and brand new. I’m curious if batteries can be bad even if they are charging to over 12v? Anyone have a run down on how to test the coils separately? Bums website is so hard to use and read I know it has lots of good info but.. from what I’ve read and talking with Dynatek it sounds like if I’m getting any spark then the Dynn ignition is working?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I've never tested a coil by itself, but take a look at this diagram from Duane Ausherman's site:

https://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/points/ ... iagram.jpg

He seems to show the key components. So, if you do the plug to plug test, you can follow the wiring from the cap on say the right plug, into the central terminal which connects inside to the wire which comes out at the negative terminal over to the positive terminal on the next coil, connecting again internally and going out to the left plug. The path you're measuring is through the small diameter turns of wire inside each coil. Assuming your plug caps are 5K ohms...for a /5 they could actually be more like 1K ohms...the other resistance is from the shear length of wire turns on the small diameter inside each coil.

So, to test just a single coil, you would want to measure from the center terminal for the plug wire and the negative terminal on each coil. Since all common wires have a resistance/foot, what you're measuring is that resistance along all those turns of the internal coil of wire. The outer wire that has the 12v attached to also has a resistance as well...I think it should be 1.5ohms when measuring between the + and - terminal on each coil.

You can also see how the 12v comes in to each coil's larger diameter wires and finally over to the points. The 12v induces a voltage in the smaller diameter wires of each coil and when the points open, the 12v goes away, the field collapses, and the voltage stored in the smaller diameter wires is released to each plug.

Snowbum says the same thing about testing each coil under paragraph 3b on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Ignition.htm

He says:
You can also measure a coil tower to any side terminal (single tower coils only)
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SharkAttackTime

Hello All,

After getting back from my summer job in Montana I stored the bike for awhile and didn't have anytime to work on it, But i'm back! When I first tried to start it this winter it wouldn't even turn over and made a "bird" "clicking" sound so at first i thought it was the Starter Relay but after I left the battery on and was forced to get a new one, i realized some of the issues was just a bad battery. When I installed the new battery the bike would turn over and I got a spark but still it seems a little weak. and the bike still won't start

So after trying for hours to get it started to no avail here is where i'm at
- Has spark but seems weak
- coils still testing 36 ohms from plug to plug but 25ish from coil to coil
- engine turns but doesn't fire
- big blow back sound when removing key after trying to start
- moved the Dyna plate a few times to line the timing up no change
- new spark plugs

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm a little confused about the resistance readings. They should be kilo ohms not just ohms. Please describe how you're doing the testing.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SharkAttackTime

Use a multimeter to measure the resistance from one spark plug cap to the other cap. Should be 20-22K ohms.
this is what someone told me todo before i also tested from the coils themself its kilo ohms just didnt type that