If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

OLD MAN SLINGER RANT!!

808Airhead

Re: OLD MAN SLINGER RANT!!

Post by 808Airhead »

I guess it’s better to have dirty slingers? 😂💪🏽
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Seek

Post by Seek »

http://www.boxerman.co.uk/images/R69S%20Conrod.JPG

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/p ... se-repair/

Just two random pics from the Internet. The problem of broken conrods is not unheard of. And not just in racing. Of course I have no idea what the story behind these pictures is. But a seized big end bearing resulting in a broken conrod because of lubrication failure is not a weird idea. If the R50 or R60 are similarly threathened: no idea.

So the question remains, is it wise to wait until you hear the big end knocking, or do you dive in there sooner? I don't have the answer. I also don't know if the life of the big end is really that much longer when you do preventive slinger cleaning.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

Very nice work on the case repair.
Central Oregon

R68

Post by R68 »

I always wondered why the VW flat boxer four with only an oil strainer like the BMW flat twin and also no slingers at all and no oil filter does not seem to have problems with big end bearing seizure?

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Totally different engines, one is high pressure fed and other is centrifugally oiled… with only a low pressure pump to feed it.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

R68

Post by R68 »

...Gee...thanx, I didn't know that!..

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

The VW has a plain style rod bearings and the BMW has roller bearing.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

The slinger does just that! It slings oil to various internal components as a way to lubricate and COOL them. If it's clogged up and doesn't deliver the engineered amount of oil to cool and lubricate the internal components that rely on that oil things start to get warm, wear, make some noise and then break. Shame on the owners or riders who ignore the noise, they have to pay the bill after the break or pass the wreckage on to someone else to fix.
As far as the total tear down and slinger service being a first step in ownership of a /2 & earlier BMW with slingers, I am an advocate of getting to know the antique you just bought or be willing to spend time and money to hire the correct person to protect the investment. You don't have to ripe it apart before you take it out for a ride but you should at least pay attention to a change in engine output or strange noises.