If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

For those who like special tools

Seek

Re: For those who like special tools

Post by Seek »

Nice job, and good from you to make a proper tool for this job. Using a standard gear puller is a recipe for damaged teeth. This job and pressing it back on is the hardest part of a /2 engine rebuild. I broke down and bought this tool overhere: http://www.kempmann.com/Neuteile/Werkzeug/werkzeug.html

Pressing it back on is also a nerve wracking experience. Heat it up more then you ever wished. Slide it on as quick and as far as possible. Then get your pressing tool on there very quick too and press it all the way home. Nice when you have the right puller to pull it back again when you failed the first few times. I used some very thick leather welding gloves to hold onto the hot gear.

I made my press bush from steel with a threaded rod from high tension steel (quality 10.2 we say overhere in Europe). For the nut I took an old 17 mm Hex wrench end drilled an 8 mm thread inside, so this is good quality steel too. I made it much longer then a normal nut would be. Grease the spindle with graphite grease. Also oil the crankshaft. All these little things help to make the job somewhat easier.

strichzwei

Re: For those who like special tools

Post by strichzwei »

Very Nice, thanks for sharing!