If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Switches on handlebar/ lights/directionals/ignition

Mhintlian@yahoo.com

Switches on handlebar/ lights/directionals/ignition

Post by Mhintlian@yahoo.com »

1978 R100s looking to replace or rebuild the switches on the handlebars for right and left side. Is there someone or a reliable vendor that does this? Any and all responses greatly appreciated.

Matt Hintlian
mhintlian@yahoo.com

schrader7032

Re: Switches on handlebar/ lights/directionals/ignition

Post by schrader7032 »

I think you're best bet in the US is Euromotoelectric. If I'm not mistaken, one or both of the original style handlebar switches are no longer available but you would have to switch to something from a newer model.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Airhe ... s/2955.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cwf

Post by cwf »

If you're going to do it yourself, which is quite possible, assuming nothing is broken or worn out, beware the detent spring, which carries a tiny ball bearing. This will fly out unpredictably, never to be found, so dismantle in a plastic bag.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I tried repairing the left switch on my 78 European RS. As written the tiny spring and ball bearing launched themselves into the far reaches of my shop. LOL, do the work in a clear plastic bag or in a small space with clean floors.

Disassembly was easy, (isn't it always, LOL), reassembly was a pain trying to get the spring and ball bearing back into place and everything back together. I learned then that some easy looking jobs are easy at the factory where. there are jigs, tools and stuff I don't have on hand. Even after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly ( a third hand would have helped), the horn button still didn't work. As it was a European switch not a US switch it was NLA. I found a new old stock one on Ebay.

The US switch can be retro fitted to the European switch, thankfully BMW keeps the wire colors the same.

Oh by European switch I mean the switch with the horn, high beam flash and three position headlight switch. This can be found I believe in 77 /7 US bikes, the 77 RS and perhaps even the 76 R90S. Some time around perhaps 78 the US went to the headlights "on" all the time system so the three position switch was removed from then till another change in perhaps 81 when the turn signals were moved from right to left.
Not a lot of help here, sorry. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

srankin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:41 pm
I tried repairing the left switch on my 78 European RS. As written the tiny spring and ball bearing launched themselves into the far reaches of my shop. LOL, do the work in a clear plastic bag or in a small space with clean floors.….
St.
Great idea Steve.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

lol, it wasn't my idea to start, came from someone else in one of the forums. Works for other things as well. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS