If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

bing carb

shoe1151

bing carb

Post by shoe1151 »

I have a Bing 64/32/11 carb which has a crack in the body ,I found a 64/32/9 body and I would like to know if the body is the same. I can put the rebuild kit in the new body along with parts from the cracked body if the 2 body's are the same?
This is off of a 1974 R90/6 ?

schrader7032

Re: bing carb

Post by schrader7032 »

I mentioned in the other thread that Bing might be able to repair your carb.

That said, generally the two carbs should be the same but you will need to verify the jets and needle sizes and positions. Finally, you will need to rebalance and likely do a plug chop to ensure that the settings are correct.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

Thanks Schrader, this carb has a crack running thru the threads all the way down the length of the main jet tube . I have looked at pics of the other housing and it physically looks the same, everything in the same place, I think I will take a chance on it and look at all the jets or replace them to match mine. What did you mean by plug chop, not familiar with that term.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I noticed in the Bing manual that there are some major differences in the slides (part numbers) as well as jets. I'd suggest checking in with Bing to see what they might say.

Plug chop is where you find a safe location somewhere nearby and run the bike in a middle throttle setting for say a minute. Then, were safe, shut the throttle and pull the key to shut the bike off. Coast to a spot where you can pull the plugs and see if they're similar and not too white or dark.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

thanks Schrader, I have done that before just never heard it called by that name, learned something new today!

srankin

Post by srankin »

I can't say what the differences between the two carb bodies could be, only Bing would know for sure. Personally I would contact a bunch of the used parts houses here or in the UK to find a matching body to your good carb.

My friend at the Beemer Barn just this summer had a bike in with performance issues. Turns out it had two different carbs. The problem was sorted after a fashion by tuning one carb jet and needle setting different from the other side. The jury is still out as to if that actually solved the problem or not as it is winter now and the owner isn't riding.

I guess I am saying, I myself would rather have matching carb bodies and not take the chance there is some subtle difference that has to be taken care of.

IF the only choice was to use two different carbs, I would be on the email with Bing.
There are a lot of R90/6 bikes around in the parts yards, Ebay isn't the only source of parts, just saying. Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

talked to Bing and you are right there are some differences between the 9 and 11 carb most notably are two holes in the throat on the 11 as compared to 1 hole on the 9 bing said the parts would interchange but would have to be creative in tuning, which is not what I want, bur bing did say that from11 thru 20 the bodies are all the same. I did find a 11 Bodie same as my broken body so should be in good shape. thanks for helping me out again.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Glad things worked out, Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS