If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Doing push rod tube seals-need advice

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
Workinman

Re: Doing push rod tube seals-need advice

Post by Workinman »

Thanks again, guys, for the replies and advice. I assembled one cylinder yesterday, so the left side is ready to roll. I’ll do the right side in a day or so. I’ve ordered the four couplers for the intake elbows from Capitol Cycle so I can’t button everything up till those arrive.
I haven’t taken the oil pan off yet, so I haven’t decided completely whether to put the pan extension on it or not. I see that I does come with the extension for the pickup, so that shouldn’t be an issue should I go that route. I understand the benefits of having the deeper sump, and it does look kind “cool” under there, but again, I’m concerned with doing too much to this bike to take away from its originality. From my research, and from reading what the “experts” on Bring A Trailer say, a 74 R90S that is original is the Holy Grail of R90S’s, and I don’t want to do anything to take away from that. When I do my restorations on my Honda’s I make sure to use every factory part I possibly can. Every nut and bolt comes from Honda and has the correct markings on it. With that being said, adding stainless steel brake lines, modern tires, etc. is perfectly acceptable, and this oil pan extension probably is also. I’ll have to give this some more thought…
By the way… I found a tube of Yamabond in my stash of sealants, so that’s what I used on this engine. Hopefully all will be well. I have FAITH!
Thanks also for the recommendation about the Boxer people in Hendersonville, NC. I will definitely be checking into them!
I do have a question about cleaning up the finish on the heads and the valve covers, but I think I’ll start a new thread on this to maybe get some good ideas.
Thanks again, Guys! You’re helping me more than you know!

RideSolo

Re: Doing push rod tube seals-need advice

Post by RideSolo »

I'm somewhat new to this world as well, but what I have been hearing from friends is that if you make changes just keep the original parts to give to the new owner if/when you sell it. My '75 R90/6 came with the deep sump pan installed but the bike is less rare than a R90S for sure so I'm looking at it as a plus rather than a detractor. I've also been fortunate enough to find a nice set of Lester wheels for it that, though not OEM, are certainly a correct period modification. I have all the parts on hand or on the way to do a "big brake" mod (see R90Xdesigns.com) for the front wheel, but I'll stash away the original parts. I guess it depends on if you are restoring it as a garage queen and for shows or if you are going to use it.
'75 BMW R90/6 "Rocinante"
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF