If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

neutral light on when in gear and off when in neutral

ottr

neutral light on when in gear and off when in neutral

Post by ottr »

Replaced old neutral switch with new when I installed the transmission and remaining drivetrain. Also new handlebars and thus mounting the perches with switches, new throttle cables, etc. '75 R90/6

Can the neutral switch be wired backwards (?)
Also thinking of installing the switch I replaced (i.e., the old one). This doesn't require removing the transmission (again?), does it? I don't have my Clymer with me right now...

schrader7032

Re: neutral light on when in gear and off when in neutral

Post by schrader7032 »

What was the part number of the switch that you installed? There are two styles, an "innie" gets pushed in to make contact used on up to Sep 1975 production bikes. Part number 23 14 1 352 153. The "outie" pushes out to make contact was used starting with the 1976 bikes. Part number 61 31 1 243 097.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Ottr;

Switches can be normally open, where current cannot flow unless the switch is engaged, or normally closed, where current is allowed to flow unless the switch is engaged. You obviously installed the wrong gender switch. I would go back to the parts fiche and make sure you ordered the correct switch for your bike. Then make sure the dealer sent the correct part, and didn't substitute another part.

Craig

ottr

Post by ottr »

Thanks both to Craig and Schrader7032. Learning....

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

I should have added, it is easy enough to check the type of switch you have with an ohm meter. Disconnect the wires and pull the switch out. Hook the ohm meter to the terminals (it does not matter which lead goes to which side). If it reads infinite resistance and then reads zero ohms when you push the button, that is a normally open switch. A normally closed switch will read opposite. Check the gender of the switch you have and make sure the replacement is opposite.

Craig