If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

starting a 65 R50/2

sclafani

starting a 65 R50/2

Post by sclafani »

I've restored many Harleys in my time but this is my first BMW. Have 300 miles on the restore and LOVE it!
Question: I'v noticed about a mile before shutting off the bike I turn off the fuel…when I go to restart and turn fuel back on…it starts with no problem…one kick. If I forget to turn off fuel …went I go to start it…..it's difficult and take many kicks.
What am I missing?

Darryl.Richman

Re: starting a 65 R50/2

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Once the motor, and the carbs, get warm, then there's a tendency for the fuel left in the carbs when you stop the bike and turn off the gas, to boil off into the cylinder. If you try to restart soon after, there will tend to be a flooded situation. Kick the bike a couple times with the throttle wide open to clear it.
--Darryl Richman

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

ALWAYS turn off the gas and let it run awhile before shutting it down. If you learn the “starting procedure” and you have your bike in good order/ state of tune, it will always start the same way……unless something is wrong. I always say when it comes to BMW…. “ it will start in 1-2 kicks, OR 30-50!”😂🤙🏽
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

thank you all…..have a great Labor Day!

FL54

Post by FL54 »

808Airhead wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:35 pm
ALWAYS turn off the gas and let it run awhile before shutting it down. If you learn the “starting procedure” and you have your bike in good order/ state of tune, it will always start the same way……unless something is wrong. I always say when it comes to BMW…. “ it will start in 1-2 kicks, OR 30-50!”😂🤙🏽
Maybe I’m the outlier here but I never shut off the fuel petcock before shutting down the engine. Both my bikes start 1-2 kicks hot or cold. Just lucky?
Central Oregon

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

I used to deal with some inconsistency starting my R50. Vech posted this a while back and it works like a charm (no surprise) for me. Inconsistency was me, no doubt.

Cold Start
1. turn the gas on, count to 5 1001, 1002, etc 5 seconds
2. Shove the key down.
3.Do NOT touch the throttle simply kick it.
one or two kicks max, it should take off running. but do NOT touch the throttle, let it idle until it warms up some.
If you open the throttle, when it is dead cold, idling, the engine will quit.

Hot Start
Turn the gas on, count to five, put the key down, and this time, have you hand on the throttle grip. Don't open it, but as your foot hits the bottom of the kick start stroke, crack the throttle open simultaneously. It will start on one kick usually.

Now, the R68, R69 and R69S are a little different. When dead cold, they require a tickle a SHORT tickle, a "blip" on each button as I described. but when they start, don't open the throttle, let it warm up first.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Funny how you ask 5 /2 owners for starting procedures and you get 8 different answers!! :lol: So many variables that each has to find what works and then stick with it!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Goro F

Post by Goro F »

hello
what I learned reading documents of my R51/2 is that when the engine is cold you have to actuate the kickstarter a couple of times very slow with the ignition off. This allow a proper lubrication of engine parts before starting the motor and protect all sensitive parts.

I do not know if this is also applicable for R50, but in general i think it would be a good reccomendation for all "old ladies"

Mosè

Larnick

Post by Larnick »

Goro F wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:50 am
what I learned reading documents of my R51/2 is that when the engine is cold you have to actuate the kickstarter a couple of times very slow with the ignition off. This allow a proper lubrication of engine parts before starting the motor and protect all sensitive parts.
I always do this as well for cold starts on my 67 R60/2, even before doing any tickle to the carbs or use the throttle. Cannot hurt anything, for sure. It also ensures that the bike is not in gear, regardless of what the light says.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I took my R50/2 out yesterday for a ride before the weather changes and tried the above described procedure. No start. Went back to my tried and true method.
Turn on fuel.
Crack throttle.
Tickle carbs for 3 count.
Two kicks with ignition off.
Ignition on kick.
Vrooom. First kick.

I also have several Harleys that are all basically the same bike just different years. They all have different idiosyncrasies when it comes to starting.
Your results may vary.
Central Oregon