If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fuel

sclafani

Fuel

Post by sclafani »

What fuel I should be using for my 1965 R50/2? I non-ethanal best? Or the high octane?

schrader7032

Re: Fuel

Post by schrader7032 »

At a stock compression ratio of 7.5:1, you certainly don't need the premium grade. I'm sure you can use the lowest grade, but if you notice some pinging, bump that up to the middle grade. Have you had any head work done? Even if you haven't, I wouldn't worry about using 10% ethanol at the pump.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

What Kurt said
Except If the bike sits more than its ridden I wouldn't use ethanol fuels.
O-rings and rubber carb parts don't like the stuff.
In the school of life, first comes the test, then comes the lesson.

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

I've just restored the bike. It's on it third bore. New pistons and rings.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I was wondering if the valves and seats had been changed to unleaded type.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sithot

Post by sithot »

I've seen lawnmower engines with bent valves from rusting due to water in Ethanol. Best fuels there are for storage would be aviation or Sunoco Optima which isn't cheap. The shelf life is in years.
We have no-ethanol where we live so it's not an issue but still won't let a bike sit idle with anything like regular gasoline in the tank.

Good luck!
Tom
"In regione caecorum rex est luscus"

www.pbase.com/tdb

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

I found a location in Phoenix AZ selling the Sunoco Optima. It only comes in a 5 gallon metal container with a short spout for $95 and an optional long flexible screw on spout for an additional $10. The dealer said they advertise 3 year usage but it is probably closer to 5 years.
I purchased it for the planned first start this weekend on my R26 after a 1 year complete restoration including carb rebuild by Bing. I won't drive it much so the can will most likely last me a couple of years so is worth the extra expense not to continually have carb, petcock, and tank concerns. I will post some pictures of the first start and ride!
Jim

Davidd321

Post by Davidd321 »

This summer, I did an 8,700 m solo r/t from Mass to Alaska on a recently rebuilt R 60/2 engine. I started off using 87 octane, but noticed a significant improvement with higher octanes and by the northern plains was only using 93. Much greater hillclimbing ability and less knocking.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Davidd321 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:05 am
This summer, I did an 8,700 m solo r/t from Mass to Alaska on a recently rebuilt R 60/2 engine. I started off using 87 octane, but noticed a significant improvement with higher octanes and by the northern plains was only using 93. Much greater hillclimbing ability and less knocking.
well that deserves a ride report.

Sounds like a great trip.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I only run non ethanol fuel in all my bikes. I have found that I get better performance and mileage with it. I don’t know if it’s true but I’ll pass along what an outboard engine mechanic told me. He said that the refineries can have up to 3% ethanol in the fuel and still call it non ethanol. It does cost more but we’re only buying a few gallons at a time, not filling up a Suburban.
Central Oregon