If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Cam mounted tach bearings

1967 R502

Cam mounted tach bearings

Post by 1967 R502 »

Anyone know how to replace the bearings in a cam mounted tach DRIVE? Looking at the input drive block, it’s not obvious how they’d be pressed in or removed, but I figure someone must have done this before.
IMG_2452.jpeg

1967 R502

Re: Cam mounted tach bearings

Post by 1967 R502 »

Ok… I guess no one has had this issue.

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Can you remove the bearings? That’s the best way to identify them
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

Hi 67, I have held off replying because I don't have any specific knowledge about the VDO tachometer drives, so I will just make a couple of general comments, I appreciate that you need to tread extremely carefully here, if I had one of those and damaged or ruined it trying some hasty move, I would be kicking my own backside for a month.
You say that you cannot see how it was assembled but it was, and, if possible will dismantle in the reverse order. The bearings must have both radial and axial elements, so bear that in mind . If one end is blind, then they must come out the other way, before you do anything, put them in an oven and heat them to 200 degrees C, if you spit on them and it bounces off, that should do, bear in mind that they may not have been designed with future maintenance as a priority, avoid driving on the worm gear, but if you absolutely must, go right to the root, in extremis, it might be necessary to drill an access hole in the blind end to tap the spindle out, to be blanked off later. Keep the two halves separate and mark the parts of each with a different colour paint so that they don't get mixed up.
Before doing anything so brutal, have you contacted VDO to see if they can help with a drawing?, German firms are notoriously scrupulous about record keeping, if you draw a blank with them, the same drive, more or less, was used on Mercedes-Benz cars, some German trucks and I have heard, tractors, maybe see if somebody in those spheres has posted something on line.
I would not so much as touch them until I had exhausted every possible line of enquiry, if you post some more pictures, I am sure we will all take a look, sometimes a fresh pair of eyes sees something new.
Good LucK!
Oil is always cheaper than metal

malmac

Post by malmac »

Step One: Clean so you can see more detail.

If you want more advice, I would suggest, after cleaning, then post photos taken from different angles.

Also consider that VDO might have had a special tool to dismantle.

It was reasonably common for parts to be made well but not designed to be repaired (throw away components is not a new concept - just that parts generally had a pretty long operational life.)

All the best with your mystery.

Cheers Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia