If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Losing electrical power

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
srankin

Re: Losing electrical power

Post by srankin »

Oh please don't think I am being critical or doubting you guys. LOL, I have seen enough mystery break downs in my years that defy logic.

I AM going to put this into the list of things to look for when troubleshooting electrical.

I do say it is so good when a solution is posted to a problem. Thanks for doing so. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Bluethumb

Post by Bluethumb »

After I inadvertently fixed the problem I saw Darryl’s post which gave me the confidence that I had actually fixed it. Prior to reading his answer I had noticed a lot of corrosion on that particular wire at both ends. Cleaning it so it looked like a shiny new penny restored full voltage throughout the system.

While trying to fix the problem I had spoken to Rick at Motorrad and he was stumped. After fixing it I called him back to fill him in on the answer. He said that made sense and explained that the wire goes through repeated heat cycles being connected to the diode board and it’s the constant heating and cooling that causes excess corrosion.

This wire and connection is one I’m going to put on my to do list. When I have the front cover off I’ll try to remember to give this guy a quick check. Easy enough.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I love it when a member shares such information. This is why I try to help. We learn from each other.
I have done business with Rick, he is a stand up guy, and I love his book on Boxer charging systems. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS