If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Proposal to the Members of the R90sWorldnet

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"James Wonder"

Post by "James Wonder" »

Hans, et. Al.

First I will introduce myself, I am James Wonder and I am the “tech nerd” for the VBMWMO and I will answer as many questions as possible on technology here inline and do my best to answer any new ones anyone may have along the way as we migrate. I have also copied Kurt Schrader on this email, as Kurt is our most wonderful forum owner/manager!

Second, for some background, we use the phpBB software <https://www.phpbb.com/> for the forums and it is very robust with a great user community. Because of this it is quite easy to add features to the system, hence we are able to respond to wishes you may have now and in the future. Over the past several years we have added features to the forum based on member feedback and I do have a small list that I am continuing to work on (which includes a “like” button on topics which we do not have yet, but coming soon).

Third, to answer your question, there is a fairly robust email function that you can customize to your liking. Please see the links below:

1) Go to: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options and you can customize WHAT emails you would like to get. I have them all set on! This page will allow you to customize your options for getting more or less email, hence getting more or less work done…. ;-). The explanations are below:

2) You can subscribe to the whole forum by clicking the “Subscribe Forum” link at the very bottom of the page (in the blue area) or by clicking here if you are already have an account: viewforum.php?f=17&watch=forum&start=0. When you subscribe to a forum, and have everything checked in the notification options you will get an email when person creates a new topic or replies to one.

3) If you do NOT want to get a notification for everything in the R 90 S forum, you can subscribe or bookmark a specific topic by clicking on the down arrow next to the wrench icon. You can also email the topic to yourself or print it from there.

What we do NOT have right now that you may want is the ability to send the text of the whole new topic or post to you at the time of the post like groups.io <http://groups.io/> does. Nor do we have the ability to create a “digest" a forum/topic update for nightly sending. I will be looking into both of those as we go forward.

I hope this helps, and I am here (and on the forum) to help in whatever you may need going forward.

If there is anything you need/want please let me know.

James

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: <hanskauf@sbcglobal.net <mailto:hanskauf@sbcglobal.net>>
Date: Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Proposal to the Members of the R90sWorldnet
To: <R90SWORLDNET@groups.io <mailto:R90SWORLDNET@groups.io>>

Mac,
Thank you for your leadership on this and the VBMWMO club to which I am also a member. Migrating the data to the VBMWMO site makes sense. I will claim some ignorance on groups, Listserv's, and social media in general so this may be a dumb question. Will this change how we receive notices that there are posts regarding the R90S discussion/topics? Put another way, I currently receive an occasional email that lets me know that someone has posted. I click the link in the email and enjoy a respite from whatever I was doing (like work) and engage or just read the current topic. If this info gets moved to the VBMWMC Owners club website, will I still receive the email notices that I get now or will I need to remember to log on to the website and proactively seek this experience rather than getting the nudge via email?
Thanks for the clarification.
Hans Kaufmann
Oakland CA

"James Marciano"

Post by "James Marciano" »

Thanks James (Wonder), very helpful!!