If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

new member w/ a question

schrader7032

new member w/ a question

Post by schrader7032 »

Troy -

I've not heard of this sort of thing. To my knowledge, the engine was designed for routine operation in a wide variety of conditions without any heat problems. It works just fine as it is.

What "heat related" issues are you referring to? Maybe you have another problem that needs fixing rather than this kind of bandaid...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Allan.Atherton

Re: new member w/ a question

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... '63 R60/2... This bike has had some heat related issues in the past... has anybody coated the cylinders with heat emitting coating? I may also do the piston skirts?!? Possibly the oil sump?
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10968 ...
The Swaintech coating is a high-temperature black paint for items that need to lose heat and are not already painted black. There is nothing magical about the paint. It is the black color that helps such items radiate heat. Google "black body radiation" -- black emits the theoretical maximum of heat energy.

For instance, when the R25 ran too hot, BMW tried to reduce the problem by painting the cylinder head black -- the "Mohrenkopf" or "black head" edition. The problem was not solved until the R26 where the surface area of the cooling fins on the cylinder head was massively increased by about 60 % and the size of the front fender decreased allowing a better flow of air to the cylinder head, and the piston was given direct oiling. Even so, the R26 and R27 motors run hotter than the twins merely by being behind the fender and up under the tank, but it is not a problem.

The cylinders of your R60/2 are well-finned and painted black, projecting into the airstream for plenty of cooling. The engine does not have any difficulty keeping itself within proper operating temperatures, and whether the fins are black or rusty does not make much difference. I have never heard of a /2 with a "heat" issue except from timing too advanced or carb jetting too lean, and if you have those, you would have some indication from the running. Let us know why you think there is a heat issue, and there will be non-liquid solution.

The Swaintech paint would be ideal for your cylinders, but do not paint any other external (or internal !!) part of your engine with it.

TrophyMoto

new member w/ a question

Post by TrophyMoto »

lets see...when I got this thing 13ish years ago it had been tarted up for the previous owner at some shop in Florida. It looked good but not much had been done to the inside of the motor. Sooooo....I rode it some but it didn't seem right, I had been a BMW tech for a couple of years by then,been on a few /2s so I knew it was under powered even for a R60...when I puled it down I found the problem..it had squeaked both pistons,and the domes had begun to collapse....so that's my heat type woes, not a big deal but why not give it a little added protection ?

also I think this coating is more than black paint...I could be wrong .As for doing the skirts thats a diffrent coating..

I've built and raced a few air heads over the past few years...my pile of broken parts is getting big...I'm just telling ya this so ya know that I know what end of a screwdriver to hold....

thanks....

Allan.Atherton

new member w/ a question

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I got this thing 13ish years ago... I had been a BMW tech for a couple of years by then, been on a few /2s so I knew it was under powered even for a R60... when I puled it down I found the problem..it had squeaked both pistons,and the domes had begun to collapse....so that's my heat type woes, not a big deal but why not give it a little added protection ....
When you replaced the pistons, did you determine the cause and fix it?
Otherwise, a cylinder paint will contribute nothing toward the problem not happening again.

TrophyMoto

new member w/ a question

Post by TrophyMoto »

When you replaced the pistons, did you determine the cause and fix it?

fix it ...I'm just now doing it.. :oops:

VBMWMO

new member w/ a question

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello and hi to all!!
New to VBMW forum ...but not so new to BMW stuff...

I'm actually getting my '63 R60/2 going... and I've got one (so far) question. This bike has had some heat related issues in the past and I just thought I would hedge my bets.
has anybody coated the cylinders with heat emitting coating?
this is the stuff http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10968
It's not to expensive,and since I've got it apart.....

I may also do the piston skirts?!? Possibly the oil sump??
I'm not so worried about concourse judges, but i am all for longevity.

I have a buddy that had it done on an other brand of bike ...he was quite pleased.

thanks.
troy
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.