If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bike suddenly died

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"Peter McMahon"

Bike suddenly died

Post by "Peter McMahon" »

76 R90S

I took my R90S out for a ride, started up just fine, warmed-up, choke off and away I went. Once I was a few minutes underway I turned the lights on and the bike immediately died and instrument lights went out. I immediately flipped the light switch off - all of this happened in a millisecond - the bike caught, instrument lights came back on. I turned around and went straight home. Pulling into the garage, with the bike running normally, I turned the light switch on and the bike died, lights out. I flipped the light switch back off but now the bike is completely dead. No instrument lights, no anything when the ignition is turned on.

I just got the bike on the lift and will be looking at it later today. I’m hoping that someone here might offer some clues. I know I’m providing minimal information and it could be many things but I’m looking for guidance on where to start.

To add, a few months back I replaced the clutch switch at the handle. There’s a post where I asked about this. On my ‘76 the clutch switch was wired into the connector board inside the headlight. The only replacement switch available has a female connector and plugs into the harness outside the headlight. By cutting the female plug off and using connectors I plug the wires into the connector board exactly as the previous switch was installed. Following that I rode the bike 2-3 times, short distances, no problem. Looking back I am pretty sure I DID NOT turn the lights on. I’m thinking this has something to do with my replacement clutch switch and the light switch but I’ve no idea what that could be.

Again I know this isn’t offering much in the way of symptoms and electrical problems are in a different league of their own, but any suggestions would be helpful.

"Steve"

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Bike suddenly died

Post by "Steve" »

Hi Peter, My 76 had the same exact problem last year and sadly still trying
to diagnose! Steve

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023, 9:15 AM Peter McMahon via groups.io <bluethumbww=
icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

> 76 R90S
>
> I took my R90S out for a ride, started up just fine, warmed-up, choke off
> and away I went. Once I was a few minutes underway I turned the lights on
> and the bike immediately died and instrument lights went out. I immediately
> flipped the light switch off - all of this happened in a millisecond - the
> bike caught, instrument lights came back on. I turned around and went
> straight home. Pulling into the garage, with the bike running normally, I
> turned the light switch on and the bike died, lights out. I flipped the
> light switch back off but now the bike is completely dead. No instrument
> lights, no anything when the ignition is turned on.
>
> I just got the bike on the lift and will be looking at it later today. I’m
> hoping that someone here might offer some clues. I know I’m providing
> minimal information and it could be many things but I’m looking for
> guidance on where to start.
>
> To add, a few months back I replaced the clutch switch at the handle.
> There’s a post where I asked about this. On my ‘76 the clutch switch was
> wired into the connector board inside the headlight. The only replacement
> switch available has a female connector and plugs into the harness outside
> the headlight. By cutting the female plug off and using connectors I plug
> the wires into the connector board exactly as the previous switch was
> installed. Following that I rode the bike 2-3 times, short distances, no
> problem. Looking back I am pretty sure I DID NOT turn the lights on. I’m
> thinking this has something to do with my replacement clutch switch and the
> light switch but I’ve no idea what that could be.
>
> Again I know this isn’t offering much in the way of symptoms and
> electrical problems are in a different league of their own, but any
> suggestions would be helpful.
>
>

"Scott Butler"

Post by "Scott Butler" »

Hi Peter,  I had a 77 r100s that had the exact same problem.  Driving, turned the lights on and everything died.  I never got it back running, so trailered home.    Upon a suggestion, just started cleaning electrical connection.  Concentrated on the starter relay under the tank left side and its many connection.  Take care and take photos so you don't get anything mixed up.  After I put everything together it started and ran fine again.  I sold a few years later but never had that problem again.  Unfortunately I can't say exactly what it was.Scott

"Richard Chawes2"

Post by "Richard Chawes2" »

Where to start: 1) Fuses in headlight, 2) disconnect clutch switch, 3) Bad ignition switch
I doubt it is the clutch switch because this just lets you start the bike out of neutral.
If you have a wiring diagram you can bypass the ignition switch with alligator jumpers
but I don’t know which terminals ends without research. Also check main grounds at transmission speedo cable and left coil bracket under gas tank.
Richard Chawes