If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Whiny tach on 1976 R90/6

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"Richard Chawes2"

Post by "Richard Chawes2" »

I welded a 13 mm socket to a short rod for a handle and then the Allen wrench goes up the middle to hold the fork damper. A local welder can do this in 30 seconds.
Richard Chawes

"WindyK"

Re: Whiny tach on 1976 R90/6

Post by "WindyK" »

I use one of these

Attachments
15755.1615746133376788838_F49D97E1-2D65-46E3-AFC2-EC14F754DAD7.png

"WindyK"

Post by "WindyK" »

@Donald Walter. Do you have a link to that website for the repair manual?

thanks

Neil

martyjnelson@mac.com

Post by martyjnelson@mac.com »

You can hold the 13mm socket with a vice grip and the then the 4mm hex wrench can fit inside the socket to hold the damper rod.

Marty
Seattle
’76 R90S

"Donald Walter"

Post by "Donald Walter" »

Can’t access Terry Vrla’s contact info. Assistance needed please.

"DAVID LEMAIRE"

Post by "DAVID LEMAIRE" »

Thanks all for the feedback regarding the Whiny tach. The other day I removed the assembly and took it apart as far as I could without actually removing the hypoid gear on the shaft. I was able to drip some 3-1 oil at the base of the shaft and then spin the tach with my drill in reverse with a squarehead bit. I did this numerous times and it seems like the oil made it into the shaft and the noise went away.

I also greased the gears with a small dab of lithium grease and then a little graphite spray down the tach cable since I had it off.

I also pulled the speedo assembly since I had it all apart and did the same. It did seem a little dry.

I drove it for a while and the tach seems to be smooth and no noise which is good news.

Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I don’t think I want to attempt to remove the shaft of the tach by trying to remove the tiny circlip on that gear! Getting it off would be one thing. Getting it back on would be another!