If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

spoked /wire wheel weights

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I've had some wheel weights for years...can't say where I got them. I've got the kind that slip over the spoke and then I use pliers to crimp them closed. I also have some that are basically strips of lead which I can wrap around the spoke like a snake.

You might try a local bicycle shop and see what they can offer. You might also check a few motorcycle shops as well...maybe the dirt bike crowd uses them. I don't know if a spool of lead solder from a stained glass shop would work. You could strip off a length and wrap around the spoke.

Vech sells lead wheel weights in 0.25oz increments for a $1 each.

http://members.aol.com/vechbmw2/partno.html

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

very easy and completely unintrusive is to use the commonly aviailable "stick on" weights for automotive applications

make fine tuning much easier and affordable than the "crimp on" types with zero damage to your spokes, nipples, or wheel rims

tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

I've recently used "DynaBeads" on 3 diff. bikes, including my R69, with steel rims and K-block tires, a heavy combination. They really work, or at least they worked for me. The R69 front wheel, even with 2 careful tries at balance, still seemed to have a bit of vibration, which was cured with the beads. And they contiinue to balance even after the tire wears. Works in tubed or tubeless. I'm done with wheel weights. Others may have a diff.opinion but they worked for me. I have MBD, {multible bike disorder] so I bought one of their bike kits, and a loose bag of beads. rj
Tricyclerob

"I like new stuff... especially after it gets old"

tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

I've recently used "DynaBeads" on 3 diff. bikes, including my R69, with steel rims and K-block tires, a heavy combination. They really work, or at least they worked for me. The R69 front wheel, even with 2 careful tries at balance, still seemed to have a bit of vibration, which was cured with the beads. And they contiinue to balance even after the tire wears. Works in tubed or tubeless. I'm done with wheel weights. Others may have a diff.opinion but they worked for me. I have MBD, {multible bike disorder] so I bought one of their bike kits, and a loose bag of beads. rj
Tricyclerob

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I've recently used "DynaBeads"...

Ooooh, bad juju...snake oil...heresy... :wink:

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

Like I said, others may have a different opinion.
I first tried them in a K75s that was new to me, that had 10 y.o. tires and I was installing new tires . As I had not tried to balance beforehand, and had not ridden with the new tires mounted without the beads, I really didn't consider it a good test.
On my R65, with 2-3 thou. on a set of Metzlers, I took a ride at 65-75 mph. Felt,"OK" not great, but hard to tell if any vibration was tire or road surface. I then removed the stick on weights, took a ride. Noticed some definite vibration. Installed Dyna Beads, Vibration gone. Was it smoother than with the original weights? Not sure, but the vibrations that were there without the weights were gone.
My R69 def. had a vibration in the front tire, added 2 oz's of beads, vibration gone.
I read their explanation of how/why they work on their website and it was over my head.
This might not have been scientific test, but if the vibration is gone it's gone. Try them,... or not. rj
Tricyclerob

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

looking to find and or purchase assorted spoked /wire wheel weights
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.