If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

hello from germany

Darryl.Richman

Yeah, spokes are annoying to

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Yeah, spokes are annoying to clean, but I really hate the "snowflake" wheels on the R65, because it takes so much effort to clean all those little holes.

Apparently Honeywell isn't making the Hall Effect sensor any more. From what I'm reading, it appears they sold the rights to an Asian producer. You can get a replacement here: http://www.bbautomacao.com/home_hall_ef ... hme56.html. Of course, now the price is $50 for one part instead of $13...

I originally thought that my R12 might have been in the Afrika Corps. It came to me indirectly from a collection in South Africa. But when I took it apart, I found Polish bearings in the wheels and Russian bearings in the engine, so I think it went to the eastern front. Certainly it lived a long and rough life. It had been in a bad accident, and when looking at the frame from above and behind, it looks like a Coke bottle.

Yes, Oberteisendorf is past Chiemsee and Traunstein, just a couple exits before the A8 goes into Austria.

Although I'm sure you enjoyed riding down to Monterey, that part of CA-1 is probably the least riding fun. South of Monterey to San Luis Obispo, or from across the Golden Gate Bridge up to Leggett, are much, much more fun! And if you do ever get over here again, I can show you roads that are like the Rote Lache in the Santa Cruz mountains.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

hi darryl yes, this is

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hi darryl

yes, this is definitely on my list to go over to california again!!! not this year but probably the next year. not for business trip, it should be really for vacation a few weeks :-)

down to monterey it was mostly going straigth ahead, i remember, but that time i was happy to have one weekend free to do what i want, whitout collegues who are only talking about work and work, projects, business, forecasts and all this stuff.

when are you looking forward to do your next "karlsruhe" or south germany visit?

these hall effect vane sensors look that they would fit into flyingbricks too.

to clean the snowflakes of the r65 i use a special wheel cleaner spray from my bmw dealer. the bmw garage is using this.
i`m not shure if you can buy this cleaner in a shop. but it should not affect the rubber of the tires, so my bmw dealer. the breake disks and the breake pads have to be cleaned with breake cleander very carefully after cleaning the snowflakes.

it`s recommended to use rubber gloves and eye protection glasses, but this cleaner refreshes the aluminum in minutes.
then immediately wash down this with hot water or a hot water vapor cleaner, and the snowflakes look nearly brand new.

i have no clue what kind of chemistry there is in this bmw garage spray. may be better...

the spoke wheels i clean only with hot water vapor.

regards

dieter

Darryl.Richman

I will be in Europe early

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I will be in Europe early this summer, but I probably won't be in Karlsruhe much. I bought an old bike last year and it is in a workshop north of Frankfurt. I have to arrange to have that shipped back to the US. I have to see some friends in Berlin and get some parts in the Allgäu and pick up a magneto near Munich. Then there's the trip to the Baltics and Poland. So I have a lot of traveling to do, but much of it won't be fun little roads, just droning along on the Autobahn to get from here to there.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

this sounds more like hard work than vacation

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hi darryl,

wow, this trip sounds more like a hard work.

you bought a bike near frankfurt. bmw ? at ullis motorradladen?

the next time i`ll be busy with my r65 tuning engine 850ccm. max torque @ 3500 rpm instead of ~6000rpm is the aim.
I`ve received the new pistons, so i can start now with this project ;-)

not only in my mind, probably next year it will be reality, i`m looking forward to resotre a meriden triumph bonneville t120.

regards

dieter

Darryl.Richman

This trip does include a lot

Post by Darryl.Richman »

This trip does include a lot of work. Maybe not quite as much as when I bought my R52 and spent a week taking it apart, cleaning it, sending the engine off for work, repairing the electrics, and so on. (The R52 came from Uwe at S. Meyer in Hillesheim.)

I bought the bike from a collector in the Allgäu. Now it's at a shop north of Frankfurt to have it gone through and make it as dependable as possible. I would really like to ride it on the Cannonball this September, but at this point I think it's going to be too late. When I get it shipped here I will realistically only have 4-6 weeks to ride it and get comfortable with its reliability. I have few spares for it. I tried to buy a complete R42 drivetrain on eBay.de a couple months ago, but there was another bidder who had deeper pockets than I do.

The R47 didn't have any electrics on it, so I've purchased Polish reproductions of the "tea cup" headlight and and JN3 taillight. I'm converting them over to LED lighting so they won't overtax the 15 watts that the Bosch C type magneto puts out. I also got a used "trichterhorn" on German eBay that I will have to pick up when I come over.

I just talked with a friend of mine in Berlin. I guess the Rohrrahmentreffen will be in August this year, somewhere in northern Germany. Wish I could go to that. It's quite a sight!

Your 850 R65 sounds intriguing! One thing the stock R65 doesn't have is a lot of low end torque. Are you going to change the final drive gearing to take advantage of this? Good luck with it!

The classic Triumphs are beautiful to look at, hope you get your opportunity.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

R65 motor

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hi darryl

The r65 modifications to 850ccm was famous in the 80`s. there have been a lot of tuners like fallert or michel-gmr.
and today there are more and more interrested r65 owners, who wants to have this motorbike again. me too ;-)

so i found a mechanic, equipped with a large cnc-lathe and a milling machine, who was rebuilding r100/7 grey cast iron cylinders (nikasil yo can have as well there) completely with modified pushrods and all other stuff you need.

the pistons have to be rebuild new, as very light drop forged aluminum slipper pistons.
they look beautiful, dont they?
i`ll measure out the optimisation lengths and diameters before i build in the parts in the engine and will do a little pdf report about this optimisation. next winter/spring the motor should be finished.

unfortunately this toys are a little expensive, but i don`t care. never sell a motorbike (especially one who you own over 30 years!!).
to optimize it is the better choice.

the piston rods are polished and weight reduced too. i`m a little crazy, i know.

i have changed the final drivegear into a 37/11 from the R80st, additionally i`ve changed the odo/speedometer-unit so that this fits too. it was in 2004, and this construction is working well until now.
the breakepads of the rear drum brake are ~30mm width and the original r65 was ~25mm, but after a small refresh of the edge or grout of the drum brake cylinder with a triangular scraper (no big deal for a skilled mechanic) the R80 drum brake pads fits in the r65 rear wheel brake. there is a 3 mm gap, so there is no risk of blocking or something else.

the cylinder honing does a professional motor mechanic with the machines (i have only a small lathe in my cellar). this is special work for professionals.

the carbs have to replaced to 64/32/304 and 305 models of the r80gs. if the main nozzle is 150, you can leave it here.

the intake snorkel, it`s recommeded to use the r100 part. the cylinder heads need no change or optimisation.

ok, you can polish he intake and outlet channels.

a rework of the gearbox was necessary too with my r65 last year.
don`t ask for prices of gear wheels ;-) i needed 3 of them new. in 1st, 3rs and 4th gear.

koni shock absorbers are build in this motorbike (forget these orignial boge), and it has also a double disk brake.

with this optimisations i hope for the next 33 years with my old "gummikuh named elsa".

the bonny, i already have the opportunity. pricing is fair. it won`t be sold to other potential buyers, because the bonny owner is an old friend of mine.
the only difficulty is to explain this project to my wife :-) do you have the same problems when yo start a new project?
my method is, to buy this bonny first, put it in my garage in friedrichshafen, and there is it (silence is golden!).

my wife is asking then why i need four motorbikes, when i can only drive one.

my garage neighbour has 3 vintage japanese bikes, a `75 kawasaki 500h2 twostroke (bought in the u.s.), a `72 honda cb750k2 (european model) and a `76 kawasaki z900a4. to each motorbike there is a spare engine, so you can imagine that we are very busy in the weekend.

regards

dieter
Attachments
img_4611.jpg
img_4611.jpg (160.46 KiB) Viewed 2785 times

Darryl.Richman

Dieter, I don't think anyone

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Dieter, I don't think anyone in this country would go to the kind of effort you have for an R65. It was not a particularly popular bike here. I have a friend who was a chief mechanic at a BMW dealership. He doesn't like the R65 because everything about it is a bit different than the bigger bikes, which were all basically the same machine except for displacement. He never fails to give me some hassle about my R65 when he's here.

"Hey, Darryl, I know how to double the value of your R65!"
"Oh? How?"
"Let's go down to the gas station and fill it up!"

The work you're doing sounds amazing, and yes, the pistons are beautiful.

I hope to soon have nice photos of some custom made, forged, low silicon alloy pistons for my R52. My cylinders are being bored right now.

Regarding my wife and multiple motorcycles... she has 4 looms (Webstuhlen), so I don't get asked about only being able to ride one at a time. That doesn't mean that I can just go get any motorcycle I please, however.

A few years after I bought the R52, I saw that one, maybe not as nice as mine, had sold at auction for 4X the price I paid for mine! I showed this to her and said that I was doing pretty well here, she should let me buy more of these bikes. She said that was no problem, but when was I going to sell the R52 at 4X the price I paid for it? Of course, like you, I'm not selling...
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

this sounds well known

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hi darryl

i agree, i`m familiar with this expressions too, and always the questions why i`m spending time in this motorbike.
it is more easier to buy a r100 (the cs is the one i like) or a R80 or something like that.

But i have an R90 and the small R65 is different to the big one. two motorbikes which are nearyl the same does not make really sense to me.

thats the reason why my next project will be an old triumph.

and the small r65 was reliable the over the last 30 years, and to me it`s more important to arrive with 50 ps than to have a breakdown with 100 ps :-).

the most ugly thing here in germany is, if you have to replace a sparepart when you are on the way.
replace a clutch cable or adjust the interruptor contact.
easy job but it does not take too long and then you have minimum 5 experts around you which have had the same motorbike, and they give you hints and advices you won`t hear, ask silly questions or try to hassle and so on....

tough job to be always polite in such a situation..... :-)

my wife has two horses, if you compare with this, my motorbikes are very inexpensive. to transport two horses you need a trailer and an suv and...

regards

dieter

Darryl.Richman

Dieter, I understand what

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Dieter, I understand what you're saying. I had a bad wire to the diode board in my R90S; everything worked fine, and then sometimes nothing worked when I turned the key. Before I found it and fixed it, I often had the gas tank off the bike in gas stations... It does attract attention.

I am off today to get my R52 frame straightened. It just needs a little movement, but I need to have the final drive line up with the transmission exactly. Old BMWs are probably more different from an R65 than a Triumph is.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

it was in 2001

Post by bmw-mechanic »

it was in 2001 when i was driving this bonny for the last time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb25kh9m592q132/IMG_0010.jpg

it`s a 1969 model. and i need pie shooter mufflers because of this specific noise :-)

but the old bonny could entertain easily a small village. in the meantime i`ve collected a lot of books and informations about the meriden triumph models. and there are a lot of advices and addresses where you can buy spares if necessary.

the construction of the bonny is not bad (my impression), it is simple and also easy to handle than a flattwin beemer. not to compare with a high power twostroke bike like the H500 or a suzuki or a 4 cylinder bike.
another thing is the way of working quality. if the employees have been working with "infrequent" ethusiasm or if they were upset about the working conditions or salary, on strike or sth. else.

i`ve never had the chance to drive a "rohrrahmen" bmw. do you mean that i should try do ride one even if i would have the chance to do this?
not easy, because nearly all rohrrahmen bmw`s in my area are attached to their owners and they rider their bikes themselves.

regards

dieter