If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What's the best vintage BMW to actually ride??

VBMWMO

What's the best vintage BMW to actually ride??

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello there, everyone. I am new to Beemer bikes (I've put about 14,000 miles on my GS in about 6 months...) and I have fallen in love with these things. I seriously cant stay off my GS, and I have always kinda wanted an older Beem.
My girl spends A LOT of time on the back, and we rode by (what I think was) a R90 the other day and she loved it.

"Thats cute!" she said "its not nearly as ugly as the GS!"

:o whatever... the GS is.... what it is. :P

Anyways she is taking her motorcycle safety class in a few weeks and I was thinking an older Beemer would be perfect for her. Not only that - Ill definately be stealing it on weekend rides alone!!

8)

So, I came here ask the experts about these bikes; what is a good, older bike to have as a rider. Dead reliable, easy maintenence (like my oilhead perhaps...).

Someone was telling me the other day, that I want to stay away from ponts and the like and stick with newer, eletronic ignitons. Is this true?

Anyhow - thanks for any and all help!

-cheers
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

Maksmith

I am not sure an older BMW

Post by Maksmith »

I am not sure an older BMW would be right for a beginner. You really have to pay attention and drive the bike.
Maksmith

sonofrust

Encourage her to get

Post by sonofrust »

Encourage her to get something with at least one front disc brake. I agree that an old BMW looks cool, but there are better beginner bikes. If you're asking opinions about the best old airhead to actually ride on the modern road, than that has to be the R100RS. Again, probably not the best for the beginner, but you'll certainly enjoy it!
1964 BMW R60/2, 2010 Harley-Davidson Road King Police, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

Cordless

1977 R75/7

Post by Cordless »

I vote for the 1977 R75/7. Tom Cutter, an airhead expert, told me years ago the '77 75/7 was the best airhead made. Took me a few years but I finally found one and bought it. I encourage you to do the same.

sminn560sl

Difficult Question

Post by sminn560sl »

If I ignore all of my nostalgic preferences I have to pass on the recommendation often given in Excellence Magazine when people asked the best year of Porsche to buy for a daily car. The answer is the newest one you can afford and like. BMW, like Porsche, implemented improvements in their bikes with every year. While a lot of folks love the /5, the /6 has more electrical capacity, more power and is generally more reliable. The newer they get, the better they get. I used to ride and /2 on a regular basis and thought I'd gone to heaven when I started riding a /6. When I bought my 87 R80, the /6 felt crude. When I rode the K1200RS I thought my R80 felt like a crude relic.

I love to ride my /2, but will choose my 87 R80 if I'm going any distance, especially with a passenger. I'd ride a newer one but the 87 is the newest BMW I have.

So, it's a personal question. Where is your personal cutoff for nostalgia v.s. technical superiority?
Steve in Kentucky
91 BMW K1 (caretaking); 87 BMW R80 (RS); 61 BMW R60/2; 66 BMW R27; 74 R90/6; 59 NSU Maxi; 71 Norton Commando; 71 BSA 250 GP; 66 Triumph TR6R; 61 Norton Manx; 59/61 Triton; 14 Triumph Thruxton

anderson7585

My problem (well one of them

Post by anderson7585 »

My problem (well one of them anyway) is that I can only ride "old bikes" and to qualify a bike MUST have Spoked wheels and Drum brakes. The /5 is the convergence of Spokes, Drums and electric start so my "modern bike" is a 1973 R75/5.

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

Zeno Lee

Seat height on R90/6

Post by Zeno Lee »

Joel mentions above that he's too short for the GS, but the R90/6 has a stated 32" seat height.

In my shared motorcycle garage, there are 2 /6 bikes and compared to my R50/2 the seat seems pretty high.

I can flat-foot on my /2. I have a 30" inseam.

I'm wondering if other owners of /6 bikes have problems with a short inseam like me.

I'm at the beginning stages of branching out of /2s into /6s
'62 R69S
'65 R50/2
'76 R90/6

Bruce Frey

We have the same inseam and I

Post by Bruce Frey »

We have the same inseam and I have no problem handling my R90S. The only time I have uncomfortable moments is scooting it around the garage to access other bikes or the tool bench. If your foot slips (on an extension cord, for example) it is easy to lose your balance and drop the bike.

Bruce

Souljer

Since this seems to be ongoing...

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

A year or so ago I was wondering the same question.
Since the original poster is probably long gone, I post now for any future visitors who may be following in our footsteps and finding themselves on this excellent site.

I came to the conclusion later after buying my BMW. The more I ride it and learn about it, the more I like it and appreciate it.

My bike ended up being a 1993 BMW R100R
Many unique features on these Last Airhead models.
Mine has stock:
Early Paralever rear suspension.
- Same basic drive train as period GS bikes. (I think that includes the stronger frame, but I'm not sure.)
Dual front disk brakes.
Tubeless tires.
Wire rims.
A stronger and stiffer fork (I think it's from the then current K75)
Electronic ignition.
- among other things I'm probably forgetting or don't know yet.

Hope that helps.
Things which are different in order simply to be different are seldom better,
but that which is made to be better is almost always different.
-Dieter Rams, 1993

rimcanyon

This is an old thread, but it

Post by rimcanyon »

This is an old thread, but it raises the same question I am interested in getting an answer to.

I have a 28" inseam. Which models would you recommend for someone with a short inseam? In one of the posts above, c.d.iesel posted that a short height seat is available. Is this a custom option, or available from BMW? Do the vintage BMW's with the solo saddles have a lower seat height? Do longer wheelbase models have a lower seat height than short wheelbase models?