If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

a 12000 miles 1975 R60/6 clutch problem

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Tash -

I responded to your post on the other thread...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

PGK

Post by PGK »

Take it to a shop. Seriously.

Diagnosing noises is hard for a lot of people in person, trying to do it over the internet is folly.

If it only happens when the clutch is engaged (i.e. lever out), transmission in neutral and bike stopped, it is more than likely a transmission problem—could be something as simple as low/dirty oil, or it could mean it's time for a transmission rebuild. A rebuild can set you back north of a grand, depending on parts needed/availability, labor rates and/or shipping.

First step for you to do is drain and change the transmission oil (you will need two crushrings for this). See chunks/bits of metal? Those mean bad things. I know gear oil smells bad, but run your fingers through it, making sure to feel the sludge at the bottom. Take a look at the drainplug—a little bit of black, sludgy buildup is normal—a lot of it, with large-ish chunks of metal is not.

Check your clutch lever adjustment, using the owners manual or shop manual (you do have one, right? if not, buy one now—older airheads are not low-maintenance bikes. You need the knowledge and information provided in The Book if you lack experience with them). There should be a little bit of play in the lever at the bar—about 1/2" at the most.

If it's been sitting for 12 years a clutch spline lube isn't just a good idea, it's recommended service procedure. Hopefully the splines will still be there when the mechanic takes the tranny off.

Good luck.
"Every time I look down and see the cylinders sticking out each side I smile. I imagine the violence and commotion going on underneath the placid covers and inside the finned cylinders. I feel like I'm riding an airplane." -unknown

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi
I bought a 12000 miles 1975 R60/6
It is all original and has not been used since 94.
Last ovner left it after it had problem with shifting.
It runs now but If I don't keep the clutch in ti makes a huge noise.
Any opinion is appreciated.
Thank you
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.