If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bike fell over at a stop sign!

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Ouch! Fortune has smiled on you that you weren't hurt and the bike got only slightly dinged.

I would highly recommend you sign up for an MSF class in your state. I've been riding continuously for over 25 years, and I try to take a class every few years or so. (I take a class when I buy a new helmet.)

It will help you get past the rusty stage quickly. It will also help you with strategies on dealing with the traffic, which is probably heavier than when you last rode.

Don't wait; the classes are usually really full as soon as the weather turns nice in the spring.
--Darryl Richman

RickStewart

Post by RickStewart »

Yes, I plan to take a course. Right now I have a permit. When I moved from Texas (where I had a motorcycle license) to CT, CT DMV failed to include 'motorcycle' on my license and I didn't catch it. So now either I practice and take a driving test or take and pass a course and they give me my permanent license. Problem I have now is getting good enough in 2.5 weeks to get it inspected and get a real plate. I think I can do it if I practice most every day. Courses start in October and that's it for the year. I could use their bike if I don't feel safe riding mine over there. The school isn't close; neither is DMV.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Well, I just got my R75/6 delivered last night from Ohio to CT and I thought I'd take it out early Sunday morning. I hadn't ridden in about 13 years so obviously I needed practice. I started out at 6:30 heading towards Friendly's restaurant about 7 miles away on 2 lane blacktop to meet some friends for breakfast. I made the first stop sign ok but at the second one just 3/4 of a mile away from my start I was hunting for neutral and didn't put my feet down soon enough and over it went on the right side. And then when I picked it up I didn't pull the sidestand out beforehand and over it went on the left side! Am I rusty or what! A walker came along and helped me this time and on my way I went. The rest of the ride there and back was uneventful. But how embarrassed and stupid you feel! On the ride home it started coming back to me, but it'll take time. Thing is, I've got a 20 day temp tag till I get it inspected. But I'm not driving it to DMV till I'm proficient. Minor marks on the handle bar ends and clutch handle by the way. No marks on me.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.