If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

About to buy my first Airhead...advice?

schrader7032

Re: About to buy my first Airhead...advice?

Post by schrader7032 »

The '76 is better just because it is the last of the /6 models, so any improvements, etc., will be in the bike. I would prefer a more original bike but that's me. An original paint bike says a lot in my book. Is he willing to reduce the price? Maybe $3K??

What are your thoughts on maintenance? Can you do this work for yourself? Set valves, overhaul carbs, etc.? Does the bike come with a set of original tools?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

drb007

Post by drb007 »

Yes, I’m a pretty handy guy. That’s one of the reason I want a classic BMW…I understand they are great to work on. I suspect it will not have the original tools. I’ve been trying to get him to $3000 with no luck. $3600 with new tires is the best I could get from him.
There is another 76 R90/6 for sale for a lot more money…$6600, but it appears to be all original. Is it worth the extra $3000?
Attachments
F07A2C8F-AB9A-450C-94FF-545D4280EF18.png
3BF16834-739A-4F85-8E0C-3E47B686DC76.png
8C6D7464-B955-482C-AFE3-E17F32B5F4B3.png
62536DF8-222D-421E-9667-3D7ED5DF454F.png
3380D9D4-D22B-4542-A02D-9A0AC7B6C17E.png
AAB5191E-8E7E-455F-BF48-3C9BA2F5C252.png

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Is it worth the extra $3K? Hard to tell, although it does look quite a bit better, closer to being totally original. You never know if there something hidden that even the seller is unaware of and could mean more money down the road.

Probably need to go with your gut and lay out your priorities and pick the bike that fits the bill.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Of all the bikes you listed, the only one I’d consider buying is the last one or the 1976 R90/6 in original condition. You’ll pay a little more up front but a few years down the road you’ll be glad you did. That bike will continue to appreciate and vastly outpace the other molested examples. I avoid customized and modified bikes like the plague. They are usually (but not always) a major headache. When you’re buying a bike that hasn’t been molested, you at least know what you’re starting with and that any manuals you buy can be followed clearly without having to accommodate for changes made. Returning a modified bike to original will likely cost far more than the difference here as well. You may be able to negotiate as well a bit from the higher price as sellers often have more wiggle room the higher the price becomes.

It’s your money and your decision but I’d avoid the cheaper options and definitely avoid the poorly repainted and customized examples out there. A nice original bike is only that way because someone has chosen to care for it well over all of these years. That to me is well worth the price associated.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

P.S. Those Krauser panniers and rack on the R90/6 are worth at minimum $500 but could easily fetch $75-$1000 alone. They are very handy and functional as well. You’ll be glad to have them.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I love Slash2's write up about buying unmolested as near stock BMW airheads!

Why? Because I spend a lot of time sucking coffee at a local airhead shop and see a lot of what I call Previous Owner's Disease. Bikes come into my friend's shop not only for regular maintenance but also restoration and repairs. I have seen things done to good bikes that cost the "new" owner hundreds of dollars to correct. Some owners should have their fingers cut off to prevent them from working on their bikes.

I helped a friend out with his new to him first airhead in my own little shop not too long ago. The PO has installed after market LED turn signals. The BMW stock ones were not cool enough I guess. Not only did the PO make a hash of the wiring, he mounted the cool signals to the fork/fender brace and used carriage bolts one size smaller than the proper stock bolts! It took the two of us four weekends and a wad of money to bring the bike to proper riding trim.

Beware add on electrics, one of the most frustrating issues of any bike is to have to trace and troubleshoot electrical problems when the PO, has cobbled wiring in to add lights or in some cases to "solve" a problem.

LOL, my friend spent four hours tearing out "custom" wiring a customer had installed in the customer's attempt to make things work better and solve a turn signal issue. Once the bike's electrical system and wiring was back to stock, the turn signal issue was nearly a bad socket.

Yeah a lot of blather, good luck with your purchase. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

All good suggestions but I would add matching serial numbers to the list. Original condition + matching numbers are high on my list and can have a major impact on price. Frankenbikes usually fetch 30% less than matching number units.

WRT to R60 versus R90, if you plan on riding the highways, I would choose the R90/6 because it's got a lot more get up and go. I believe 60 HP versus 40 HP.

Kevin

srankin

Post by srankin »

I second the advice for going with the R90. Not only because of the increased Hp and torque but also because there were a lot more sold so, now a day, used parts are more available if you need them. St.

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

The difference between that first R 90/6 and the last R 90/6 is the difference between a bike that has been unloved and one that has been loved. I would not even consider that first bike. Lots of deferred maintenance there. Starting with the leaking fork seal. I don’t think that front fender pinstriping is original. Others have already mentioned the Lester mags. The shocks look worn out and it looks like that engine has not seen any maintenance in sometime. And I’m just basing that on the filth I see. How did that bike get so worn out looking with only 22,000 miles on it?

Is the last one worth $6600? Not to me, perhaps $5500 if it looks as good in person as it does in pictures and has a complete set of tools and maybe some maintenance records. But it is a nice looking bike. And I bet it has been taken care of far better than the first one. There are lots of airhead bikes out there, and if it was me, I would probably keep looking. I think you’ll find one you like, in good condition, for less than $5000.

Check out the bikes for sale on the adventure riders forum in the flea market section. There are always several airheads for sale there.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350

srankin

Post by srankin »

22,000 miles on an airhead odometer means nothing, lol, mine has been around the horn twice to a total of over 220000 miles.

I would not be surprised if the 22,000 wasn't 122,000, either that or the previous owner was just a jerk and didn't take proper care of his bike. Sadly there are a lot of people who do that.

At 220000, plus miles my RT got new powder coat, chrome, paint and electrical harnesses as well as any mechanical stuff needed. The mechanical stuff was minimal because I keep on top of things.

St.