If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R65 gas cap stuck

Dave Reina

R65 gas cap stuck

Post by Dave Reina »

Hi, I recently bought back a 1980 R65 that I had owned 12 years ago. It has a bunch of issues I need to sort out to get it running. One item is the gas cap. The key will only go in about half way. From what I've read from Snowbum and others it seems like these caps can fail and that a "fix" could be to drill a hole about 7/8" from centerline and put a screw in thru the top of the cap into the inner part. If I am understanding things this locks the top and bottom together and allows the inner part to be unscrewed from the tank. Has anyone had to do this and am I understanding this solution correctly?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

srankin

Re: R65 gas cap stuck

Post by srankin »

Ah, a bike back in the stable for some loving, good deal.

I am not sure about Snowbum but, I have this link regarding gas caps. Yes, they are known to fail and become a pain to open. I guess the screw method is the most posted fix.

Give this site a look see and see if it helps. St.

http://largiader.com/articles/gascap/
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Dave Reina

Post by Dave Reina »

Thank you. I have read through the article several times and will try to pin the outer and inner of the cap together with a screw or two. It may be tightened into the tank hard enough that one screw may fail. I'll post results

Dave
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, removing the cap is the easy part, fixing it so it can be used again is the hard part. I have a Dremel cut off tool that would remove it alas, it would not leave much of the cap to be used again.

Caps are available online in various places so don't worry if you have to replace it. Good luck, and let us know how you make out. St.

kowal7458

Post by kowal7458 »

Hi Invest in a a can of Kroil made by Kano industries. Spray it into the lock . Let it sit for a while .Also try to spray some under the cap . You may have to tap the with a rubber mallet an then try to jerk it when you try to unscrew it . May take a few times but it should come off. Mike K.
Mike Kowal

Dave Reina

Post by Dave Reina »

gas cap destruction.jpeg
I tried everything including trying to join together the outer and inner layers of the cap with screws and finally had to slowly cut apart the cap. The problem was beyond the key not working. The tank was about 2/3 filled with 10 year old gas. Basically the course threads of the gas cap were glued in with varnish. After first trying and failing with the screw method I took a small drill and made holes first around the perimeter of the outer surface which I broke up and removed then the lock and the plastic within the course threaded part. Finally I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the threaded part and opened that up. With the gas out and the new hole in the bottom of the threaded portion of the old cap I filled the tank (which looked like it had molasses in the bottom) with really hot water in an attempt to soften the bond between the remainder of the cap threaded part and the threaded receiver of the tank. That still didn't work and finally I used some small vice grips and folded the remaining cap metal back and forth to fatigue it and pull it away from the threads in the tank. I have been trying to save the tanks outer paint job and so far so good. By the way when I was first trying to drill and put a screw to lock the outer and inner part of the cap went into the inner edge of the tank filler neck. However it is well enough in to not be in contact with the sealing surface of the tank.
Three new questions. 1) Whats a good but not too expensive aftermarket gas cap? The one that's offered that looks like the original black one with the flip up lever and lock is now made all plastic. I see some aluminum ones for sale. I don't think I care if it has a key. 2) How do I get the varnish and goop out of the tank without ruining the outer finish. Right now I am trying some lamp fuel alcohol. This may be slowly working and when I scrape thru the muck the metal looks good. 3) Who might accept nasty old gas?
Attachments
filler neck and extra vent hole.jpeg
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well Dave, you have found out everything can be taken apart with the proper tools, LOL putting it back together is the next question.

In all seriousness, sorry you found a mess when you did get the cap off. I would think in your area there would be a Hazardous waste collection area, or perhaps your town may put one on from time to time like mine does. I had a similar problem with five gallons of boat gas I contaminated with a stupid on my part use of sealer that I found was not good in gas. Needless, I had a tank of gas in my boat I could not use. I managed to transfer it to an old gas can and in the next Hazmat collection dropped off the can and all.

Hopefully when you get the old gas out, and flush the tank, the tank lining is still in good condition. If not, there are options available from kits you can do your self to companies who will do it for you. All are found on line. Good luck and thanks for letting us know how you make out, it is nice to have a solution even if it is not the best to a problem posted. St.

Carott

Post by Carott »

Dave,
My 1967 R69S came with half a tank full of sludge of an unknown age. It was winter and I didn't want to try cleaning it up inside the garage.
I took the tank to a local radiator shop and it happened that the owners were also bike guys. They did both acid and caustic flushes on the tank then pressure tested it at 3 psi.
They showed me the 5 gallon pail which was half full of the sludge they removed.
It was well worth the cost to me.
YRMV
Brett
IMG_0193_1.JPG
IMG_0193_1.JPG (6.64 KiB) Viewed 3800 times

srankin

Post by srankin »

I just looked at the pictures again and I will comment and say this tank should be looked at by someone professional as Carot did. There is a lot of rust and depending upon how bad it is, a self clean and seal kit may not work.

Sorry, I don't have a contact number for you to call to have the work done, perhaps someone in your area will know someone.

Depending upon the cost of repair, it may also be a good thing to start looking for a replacement tank. Sadly, the R65 tanks may not be as plentiful as the big brothers. Good luck, St.

Dave Reina

Post by Dave Reina »

Hi St. I've been looking at the price of tanks. Not much on ebay at this time and pretty pricy. What is looking like layers of rust may be the dried sludge. Some was syrupy but other parts seem to have clumped on the surface. When I get in there with the blade of a tool it seems to come off to clean metal. But I'll see when its cleaned. I have a friend who had a similar gooped up tank on an old Indian and he used the Draino method. I know this is a product to be very careful with as it basically was lye. My friend said he put 1/4 of the can of Draino in the tank, added one or two cups of hot water, closed the tank and sloshed it over all the surfaces of the tank. He rotated the tank until he could feel it warming up from the chemical reaction, then emptied it and repeated the process until the Draino was used up. Lastly he rinsed the tank well. Years ago I had seen this written up. I may try it outside with a plastic rain slicker, goggles and shield and long rubber gloves. One issue may be that Draino has changed its formula to something safer.
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY