If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R75/6 Points/condenser issues

schrader7032

Re: R75/6 Points/condenser issues

Post by schrader7032 »

Poor connections? Improper value of the condenser? Failing condenser?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 pm
Poor connections? Improper value of the condenser? Failing condenser?
The points and condenser are fairly new and ordered from Motorworks in the UK...

So I expect everything to be in order, but I’ve swapped out the condenser and points just for good measure...

The picture here is the old one I’ve just pulled from the bike... as you can see there’s a white patch... which is mirrored on the other side too... it was even worse before as I’ve tried cleaning it before I removed it.
Attachments
C01C6473-3A3C-40EB-B00E-BFF5A0DD7662.jpeg

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, I can't see what you're seeing close up. But wouldn't there be some changes to the surface of the points with operation? I think one of the features of a condenser is to reduce the tendency to spark across the points just at opening. Could be that there has been some limited sparking during use, creating the markings you see. I've never done this, but what about removing the front cover (remove the battery ground first!) and then start the engine in a dark garage. If you see sparking going on anywhere inside there, that's not good.
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Andy, if you want to keep points, there is a system that takes the main current flow off the points and uses them as a switch. Sort of a semi electronic ignition. Kurt will know the name of this.

LOL, know you are finding out why I dumped the points on my bike. I would rather be riding it than working on it. I also had the bad luck of points going out of adjustment or burning out on long trips meaning kneeling in a parking lot of someplace trying to adjust them so the bike would run without pinging. They never went out of adjustment ten miles from home and my shop. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I believe ST was thinking of a points booster. DynaTek is a place to check. Maybe Euro Motorelectrics.
Kurt in S.A.

Andey

Post by Andey »

schrader7032 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:49 pm
Well, I can't see what you're seeing close up. But wouldn't there be some changes to the surface of the points with operation? I think one of the features of a condenser is to reduce the tendency to spark across the points just at opening. Could be that there has been some limited sparking during use, creating the markings you see. I've never done this, but what about removing the front cover (remove the battery ground first!) and then start the engine in a dark garage. If you see sparking going on anywhere inside there, that's not good.
Even with cranking it by hand I can see a spark at the points... more so with the previous points... less with the new points installed...

Not to worry, I disconnect the battery any time I do initial electrical work... even with the headlight bucket... I’ve gone through a few fuses and I’m a little wary about burning parts out which are 46 years old..! Better safe than sorry...

I’m starting to think the spark at the points is normal? I can’t find any information online about this issue... even on snowbums pages...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

To be honest, I never watched that area with my bike running...course my /7 was converted to a Dyna III many years ago. The purpose of the condenser is supposed to reduce the voltage spike when the points open. Maybe they still spark, but I thought the condenser reduced that tendency.
Kurt in S.A.