If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BMW Special Tool Rental Place in Los Angeles area or nearby

limg

BMW Special Tool Rental Place in Los Angeles area or nearby

Post by limg »

Hello, I am looking for a rental place in Los Angeles area or nearby for BMW Special tool to rebuild the rear end of my 1987 R80G/S. Thank you in advance.

schrader7032

Re: BMW Special Tool Rental Place in Los Angeles area or nearby

Post by schrader7032 »

Not sure what the tool is but I don't think there are general tool rental places for things like that. I suppose you could contact some dealers such as Irv Seaver or check some of these independent mechanics in your area:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

I suspect, though, they'll want to do the service rather than loan on their tools. Maybe others will have some ideas...
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

limg

Post by limg »

Thank you. I contacted Airheads.org and it has a tool loan program. I hope they have the BMW Special Tools I need to rebuild the rear drive of my R80G/S.

Andey

Post by Andey »

limg wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:56 pm
Thank you. I contacted Airheads.org and it has a tool loan program. I hope they have the BMW Special Tools I need to rebuild the rear drive of my R80G/S.
Oh wow... they have a tool loan program?? How does it work? I imagine they don’t serve my part of the world, but interested in how it works...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Reading from one of the latest Airmail magazines from the Airheads Beemer Club (ABC), they mention a tool loan program set up for TechDays. These are events scheduled within states, put on by members, so that people can ride in and make use of the extra skills around as well as tools for specific jobs. It mentions that this is a benefit of membership in the ABC. There is a "contract" to sign and the person pays for shipping both ways. It's not clear if the program is meant for individual members to use for their at-home projects.
Kurt in S.A.

Andey

Post by Andey »

Wonder if this scheme works...?

I’m just thinking about you 1st time users potentially damaging the tools, but people who have used the tools before would potentially have their own set...

Maybe people who sold their previous tools and need access to a 1 time fix? Would that be a lot of folks?

Maybe I’m assuming too much that folks love to fix their own bikes... :D

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

My limited experience is that most owners don't or won't invest in an array of tools, especially if it's for a one time fix. Doing so requires some kind of big budget which doesn't seem to be the case...so often I read where someone is trying to find an off-the-shelf relay because they don't want to pay BMW's price. Maybe that's not a direct comparison, but I think it defines one level of thinking among BMW owners.
Kurt in S.A.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

At one time I investigated initiating a tool lending program within my small, local, 100+ member BMW club. There was no interest by those who did have the tools to loan them out. Concerns seemed to center around potential damage, improper usage or less care for the tool than one would expect. I have loaned my tools to friends as well as borrowed tools, but I think the loss of control over "who" you choose to loan your tools to was our speed bump.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

srankin

Post by srankin »

When I purchased my first professional set of tools, I had a warning posted on my box, "I own the very best tools, don't ask me to borrow them." This has stood me well over the years as I have seen friends loan tools such as screwdrivers only to have them broken because the borrower used them as pry bars.

As to the dilemma of special tools, yes, it is very expensive to purchase a BMW tool, and for only using it once, this is kind of crazy to do. It was bad enough during my years as a mechanic to have to purchase a special tool for big bucks only to have it sit in my box never to be used again.

There are some people on the internet and in the community who are making and selling special tools for far less than BMW wants for them.

Depending upon how much work and such you are going to be doing on your bike is the one thing to take into consideration when buying special tools.

As for a lending system, as I stated, I won't loan tools to just anyone. Only a few good friends can borrow my stuff. Being burned more than a few times, I don't do it anymore. Call me unreasonable but the cost is coming out of my pocket not yours. Cheers, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

limg

Post by limg »

I contacted Airheads.org for its tool loan program. As advertised in its website the loan program is a benefit for being a paying member. The Airheads tool loan program is very limited and is not fully supported by Airheads.org management. It is managed by one person with his own limited personal tools and tool donations by some members.