If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Battery Question

Weingartner

Battery Question

Post by Weingartner »

I own a 1982 BMW R65 and I need a new Battery. The cost of a New Battery ranges from $ 40 to $ 172 . What is a "good" Battery for my motorcycle. I want a Maint. Free Battery with good to Great Cranck Power. the bike's battery compartment is about 6" High, 7" long and
3" wide. ( so I am somewhat limited in my choices. ) Has anyone had good experience with a particular make of battery. I like to stay in the
45 to 70 dollar price range. Thanks for any info.
Tom W

schrader7032

Technically, the charging

Post by schrader7032 »

Technically, the charging system on the R65 was designed for the typical lead acid fill-type battery. Use of other batteries such as AGM or sealed batteries will likely work but you might not get the total life out of the battery. Would you get 95%, 85%, etc....who knows but the battery might just fall off a cliff rather than give you telltale sign of getting weak/old.

I buy my batteries from BMW. I have heard about Odyssey batteries, so you might check what they have to offer:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/

That said, people go down to WallyWorld and find whatever tractor battery fits and go with that, knowing you'll need to replace it from time to time.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.