If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Thinking about purchasing a bike...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't have a lot of experience buying these bikes, but that seems like a decent price to me. Especially if it's pretty good cosmetically. With 35K miles (stated in the ad), one would probably have to think about slingers soon. Ask about the past maintenance and if/when the slingers have been cleaned. If they haven't, you're looking at $500-$1500 more depending on how much work you can do in prep for the job.

The R50/2 will be a decent riding around bike, but with only 500cc, you'll have to consider the traffic situations and be aware of what the bike is not. Brakes will not be up to par with the latest bikes, but when adjusted right, they'll do a decent job. But you're still riding a 45 year old bike with that technology. So you have to bear that in mind when riding around.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

RainyRider

Post by RainyRider »

I recently purchased my "first" BMW, a 1957 R50 for $4K; I thought it was a decent deal for the good shape it was in. If you want, you can give me a call and I'll tell you some of the "interesting" things I've learned from a novice perspective....
Ph: Three six zero - nine four two - three one one seven.

Have fun and enjoy.

fred t.

nmballa

Post by nmballa »

The bike will be primarilly a city bike. It will be a project, I would clean up the body and probably switch out the handle bars to give it more of a cafe style. But wouldn't chop it what so ever. I have an email in to see when the slingers were last cleaned.

RainyRider. I will give you a call once I decide if I will purchase the bike. Any suggestions on what else to look for?

Thanks,

Nikolai

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Found this for sale in my neighborhood. Have always dreamed of owning a BMW bike. What is everyones opinion of this bike. Is this a good deal. Let me know what to check for, common problems, etc. What should I offer for this bike?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1299574148.html
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.