If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Mounting of rear fender R60/2

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

What about some thin cardboard or cork material? Then when you have it more or less positioned in place, give a squeeze to the fender and gently pull out the material and give a final align for the holes.

There's also that blue tape that people use for painting...it comes off easy and doesn't leave any residue. Maybe you could use some of that all over the exposed edges that might contact the frame as you move it into place. I'd use it in areas that I could remove after the fender was attached.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Allan.Atherton

Re: Mounting of rear fender R60/2

Post by Allan.Atherton »

I just received my new... rear fender from Germany, and am in the process of mounting this. Very tight fit in places. ... If any of you have any better hints about how to protect the fender while mounting it, it would be much appreciated!...
Pinch the fender and insert it upward from below. It slides up into place better from below.

If you have a bench seat, look at these tabs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/2316418/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/3644002123/
Stick one on each side of the fender so the sharp seat brackets slide down over them onto the bolts in the shock towers. No more gouging of the fender. The tabs stay in place, invisible, protecting when the seat is next removed and installed.

Ramburger

Post by Ramburger »

Thanks for good hints, guys! I am waiting for a brand new set of nuts and bolts that I ordered on eBay; in the meantime I will prep the bike with tape or cork or whatever suitable material I can find.

Ramburger

Post by Ramburger »

There! I ended up buying round rubber pads which I cut holes into, to protect the frame from nuts and bolts, and simply electricians tape all over while mounting. Worked beautifully, not a scratch!

And this is the result (with which I am - needless to say - pretty satisfied):

Beautiful!

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I just received my new, shiny and way too expensive rear fender from Germany, and am in the process of mounting this. Very tight fit in places. I thought of putting black electricians tape or something similar on the parts of the frame that come into contact with the fender, to prevent the fender from getting damaged while I mount it. If any of you have any better hints about how to protect the fender while mounting it, it would be much appreciated!

I am seriously looking forward to finally getting the original type fender on, up until now I've been using the fender that was on the bike when I bought it: from a Honda CB 750!!! Ugly, ugly...
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.