If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R-50 values

Darryl.Richman

R-50 values

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The guide reports the results of some auctions. Perhaps a 1st quality R60 didn't happen to come up during their survey period?

It's true that over the last couple years, the prices on all models, especially in excellent condition, have really moved upwards. About 5 years ago, a good looking R60 went for about $5k. Now you'd be lucky to get one for double that.

I feel that there are two external reasons for the huge price increases we're seeing.
  • The dollar has fallen dramatically against the Euro and the Pound. 5 years ago a Euro cost $0.85. Today a Euro costs $1.47. The Pound is over $2. People who are interested in these bikes, who earn money in these other currencies, think the bikes here are cheap, and are worth buying and transporting back to Europe.
  • The economy is hitting a rough spot. The market is down 10% from the middle of last year (the definition of a recession, actually) and the housing market is in free fall. People who have some money need to find places to put it where it will hold (if not gain) value. So, they're buying collectables and gold. (Gold hit a new high earlier this week.)[/list:u]Not that I'm an economist or a day trader, but these effects are longer term, and I would expect prices on our objects of affection to continue rising for a while yet.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

R-50 values

Post by schrader7032 »

Not that I'm an economist or a day trader,

Yeah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express yesterday? :D

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Allan.Atherton

R-50 values

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Not that I'm an economist or a day trader,
Yeah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express yesterday? :D
Kurt in S.A.
I don't get it. What does that motel have to do with how the value of the dollar or the state of the economy affect our bike prices?

Darryl.Richman

R-50 values

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Allan, you must be like me and not watch much TV. (I don't watch any at all -- there's no clear broadcast TV here, we can't get cable, and I'm too disinterested to pay for satellite. My wife has a busy Netflix account.)

Still, I have managed to glean the understanding that Holiday Inn Express has been running commercials that indicate that their customers are smarter than average. "Stay Smart". It has become a line, like "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV"...
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

R-50 values

Post by schrader7032 »

Allan, you must be like me and not watch much TV.

Guess that means I've been busted... :oops:

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

R-50 values

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Guess that means I've been busted... :oops:
Well, now that you've admitted it...

But these days it seems like it's impossible to avoid the media. My wife is often amazed at the information I've picked up without ever actually seeing them on TV.
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

R-50 values

Post by EuroIron »

to value any of the earls forks bikes as they appear to be valued clearly demonstrates a huge disconnect in logic

I can see the 69S even being popular enough to command more than a much rarer 69

even though I think that is bassackwards

but I sure can't see the US bikes being virtually unsellable, anywhere but overseas, where they are quite scarce

a R50 or R50/2 (horrible excuses of a bikes if you ask me and so underpowered) should rightfully be at the very bottom of the food chain, just above or at the same level as the more desirable singles

and when I see a crappy R50 or R50/2 bring more than a nice plunger bike, it makes me wonder how a fool and his money ever got together

and why should an inferior R60 or /2 bring more than the R68 replacement or any US version?

one good reason please?

at the current time I am seeing the overseas buyers demonstrating they are full aware of the situation here and just looking on ebay, hammer prices are currently softening

maybe I'm missing a few details

pay no attention at all to that guide if you are in for the long haul

it may take a while for the masses of people to wise up

VBMWMO

R-50 values

Post by VBMWMO »

In examining the Vintage Motorcycle price guide I note that the R50 values are well above all the other models (about 12,000 in #1 condition)with the exception of the R69S. Can anyone out there explain why this is?

Thanks
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.