If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Putting the beast on its center stand

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Micha -

Has it been getting difficult to put the bike on the centerstand or has it been hard all along? You might want to check all of the pivot points and stop points to ensure there's no wear. It could be that the bike is going too far past center, making you lift more weight to get it off and on. On my bike, the rear tire is off the ground about an inch or so. What's that like you your bike?

I find the R69S to be quite easy to get on the stand because it's lighter weight and there's a good handle point on the frame just in front of the left rear shock tower. People on other forums say they can put the bike on the centerstand with their left hand, right foot, and their other hand in their pocket!! I see how that can be done theoretically, but I've yet to perfect that. The key is to put the right foot on the rear facing curved part of the center stand and your right calf on the forward part of the rear footpeg. Then by straightening your leg, the bike should come up and over. Maybe my legs are too tall for that, but I can see how it might work.

HTH...Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Although the plunger frame bikes are lighter than the Earles fork bikes, they are no easier to centerstand, and because they are lower to the ground, it can actually be harder.

The technique that Kurt mentions can be applied to a plunger bike, but only if the passenger footpegs are rotated so that they are behind their mounting point.

The trick works as follows:
  • With the bike stable, stand next to it, facing forward.
  • Push the centerstand down with your right foot.
  • Hold the stand in place with your right foot on the centerstand's left foot -- not the tang.
  • While holding the stand down, move your right leg so the meat of your calf is pressing against the passenger peg.
  • Use your left hand on the handlebars to guide the bike, your right hand on the frame pulling the bike back (not up!), and lean back so your right foot holds the stand in place while putting rearward pressure against the passenger peg.[/list:u]
    If it sounds awkward, it is a bit. The trick is not to try lifting the bike's weight up, but to get some momentum going backwards. The bike should pop right up on the stand.
--Darryl Richman

redavide

Post by redavide »

Assuming the centerstand is pivoting easily the way it should, it shouldn't be so difficult to pull the bike up. Try to concentrate on putting ALL of your body weight on your right foot on the left part of the centerstand while simultaneously pulling up on the upper part of the frame that's parallel with the ground (with your right arm).

If you try to use the brute strength of your arm to pull up without using your weight (via your right foot) on the stand, it's considerably more difficult.

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

another thing easily overlooked is that the rolling diameter can legally vary as much as ten percent and if you have one with small diameter tires

maybe more for certain vintage type tires

it really is harder with "short" tires while being almost effortless with oversized tires.........

also, there are several plunger frame center stands and the only thing that is significant about this is that there are two different widths....... the narrow is nearly useless other than for clearing stuff on certain bikes

a very precarious perch at best is what I would label the narrow one

fine on smooth level floors but just about scary in the real world

I'd have to weld some wider feet on the bottom of one if stuck using one for whatever reason.... that stuff can easily be removed and made to look like it never happened if pristine correct is actually a concern

and one other thing

the tabs which are welded to the thin walled cross bar could easily be out of their correct geometric location although generally such a displacement would result in easier since that failure would most often result in the bike not resting as high on the stand as it should

I'd never dream of restoring one and not correcting that known frailty, and do so with extreme prejudice starting with much heavier wall tubing or even solid bar stock

it can be done and in such a manner as to slip right past all but the most observant concourse judge...... and could absolutely escape detection IF

you were willing to accept the pitifully thin tabs and could weld that crappy

really the only under engineered aspect of that frame and bizzare BMW couldn't pull off a center stand for years, especially when you compare them to some of the stuff on the Jawas for example......... that's a real center stand and one of the few real ones ever fitted to a motorcycle

I'd have a side stand on any plunger bike I was going to use

I'm not impressed with the pivot and bushings either but some crafty and judicious application of modern sundries and materials could easily help very much

my pennies on the subject, hope they are not too fragmented and incoherent

good luck

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

Darryl is absolutely correct - for someone with a good right knee. Mine, however, is due for replacement this coming July.

So I had to modify method from Darryl's in order to use my left leg and knee to bring the motorcycle up onto the centerstand.

I lower the centerstand to the ground and put my LEFT foot on the foot of the stand, not the tang. Then I lift and pull the frame back with my left hand while lifting simultaneously the luggage rack. With no luggage rack, you can grasp part of the passenger saddle with your right hand.

My R50/2 has no saddlebags or passenger saddle, so I just use my right hand to help balance the motorcycle. The "work" is done with my left leg and left arm.

I may look like I am working hard, but I am not. It's a question of balance and rhythm. With a little practice, it is actually quite easy -- even wearing sandals. :)

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I lift and pull the frame back with my left hand while lifting simultaneously the luggage rack...
How is the lifting on your bent-over back?
About 35 years ago we both had backs so bad that we thought we wouldn't be riding any more. That's when I went to a method with no pulling or lifting.

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

... I lift and pull the frame back with my left hand while lifting simultaneously the luggage rack...
How is the lifting on your bent-over back?
About 35 years ago we both had backs so bad that we thought we wouldn't be riding any more. That's when I went to a method with no pulling or lifting.

Don't stop now! Please give details. Include photos(s)!
[h3]Jeff Dean

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

The technique only requires that a passenger foot peg be installed on the left side. Face the bike, step on left foot of the center stand with the right foot, and rest the side of the lower right calf against the passenger foot peg. If the foot peg is not already close to the calf, then rotate the foot peg until it is. While stepping on the center stand, rock your right leg back against the foot peg towards the rear of the bike. With little effort, the bike will roll back and rise up onto the center stand. To steady the handlebars against flopping during this motion, put your left hand on the left grip. To steady the rear of the bike from swinging, press your right fingertips on the seat or against its far edge. This is such a powerful technique that it can be done in slow motion and paused halfway up.

There is a similar technique for getting the bike off the center stand without pushing. Place hands on the grips. Step on the tang (not the foot) of the center stand with the right foot, grab both grips, face forward, and rest the right shin against the left rider foot peg. Rock the leg forward while holding the front brake to control the descent of the bike. Again, this so effortless and controllable that it can be done very slowly and paused halfway down.

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

Thanks, Allan.

When my right knee gets "fixed," I will try it your way :)
[h3]Jeff Dean

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

The last paragraph of the center stand technique had an error and was corrected.