If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Odd 36 spoke hub on a Palmer Jointless.... anyone with clue?

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

oh my, I'm convinced!

btw your Velo pic didn't load the first time and wow, what a fine machine.

Thanks I'll offer it up to the Velo guys and see if they can give it a good home. Surely somebody would be happy to have it.

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

Glad to be of help
Cheers
Niall

Ps just to legitimize all this, if you look at the alloy shrouds on the KONIs on the back of my bike, they're off the front spring units of an Earles fork R50.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

in the same insufferable vein......... some may like seeing this in light of a recent e-start discussion here

http://www.motorradrestauration.de/velo ... asser.html

looks likes the starter motor is something adapted from a modern UJM and off the hip, my eyes want me to think that lil starter shaft has an uphill battle

also looks like some high maint chains with those tiny sprockets

know anything about them? do they work? robust?

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

No first hand knowledge, I'd be curious to know where they fit a big enough battery, you can't spit through a Velo as it is. that bike seems to have a self generating electronic mag on, but even so I'd also want to know how it coped with kickbacks, the e-start Bonnie couldn't, the sprag clutch used to explode . The same firm make a very good alternator conversion that replaces the Lucas/Miller dynamo, and also an e-start for the Vincent twin which presumably works on the same principle, although with the Velo at least you have the valve lifter to help it get spinning.
It looks a bit too good to be true to me, my own bike starts easy, 1st or 2nd kick since I fitted a RITA ignition, and if you can't cope with the starting ritual, how will you live with the clutch?

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

suzuki for the clutch? 550 I think?

thought all of the Velo faithful did that right off the bat........

I think the one little unit is charging and I think ideally the big starter pulley thing would have a large one way clutch..... and hopefully not the smaller intermediate one

however, some nice looking work even though for sure that charging unit would have to be synchronous belt driven for me to be happy with it

but still that starter shaft/gear looks smaller than alternator conversions I've seen for the HD genny bolt up......... driving faster than crank speeds and seen more than a couple people fishing pieces of the broken end out of the timing chest

which is why I veto-d that as a possibility and put a Lucas on the and of the crank on my 45 and the bigger Duck on the end of my IH

and it would have been much easier and cheaper just to have plunked down the 350 and bolted them in the genny holes

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

you almost slipped the shrouds past me.......... those are teats

I had a prewar Velo a while back, procured and left quickly and quietly

been around a few of them and some Scotts/Silks too

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

oh........... btw......... I think the charging on that is 12 and with a modern AGM battery shoe-horned in place

I think enough spunk to get it to spin over is possible

and I think I was not concise on the one way......... on the crank mounted sprocket would be a very viable place for something very robust and over-engineered

hard to say which unit has the one way, just from looking, though

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

Looking at the thing again it looks very like the new electric start Enfield Bullet. The smaller unit is undoubtedly a 12V alternator, although it won't work until they connect it up, I agree re. belt drive to it. also I'd like to know whats happened to the face cam shock absorber that normally lives on the driveside mainshaft. The larger crank mounted sprocket may well be a fluid coupling, but what are the two jockey sprockets mounted on? It would need to be substantial considering the torque involved. Personally if I had the best part of GBP1000 to spend on my bike I'd have a belt drive and a TT carburettor, and finish the half-made alloy primary case I started 10 years ago and never finished.

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

the idlers both appear to be on the unloaded runs and are also on eccentrics

so it would seem logical they are tensioners for the chains

likely, certainly even, simpler to execute than pivoted mounting of the alternator and starter within not too generous physical contraints

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.