If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Vintage Bike Questions

wetworx

Vintage Bike Questions

Post by wetworx »

it seems my tears came early, someone bought the ebay bike outright...haha...lucky bloke!

Thanks you for all the seating explanations

Allan, nice seat...the passenger will be riding more comfortably than the rider...hehe

espenscheid5439

Re: Vintage Bike Questions

Post by espenscheid5439 »

- How is the performance in regard to reliability on the road and across distance?

For 40 year old machines, they are reliable, but it will likely take awhile to work out the bugs on anything but a recent, fairly expensive restoration

- How would you describe the riding experience?

Slow. You just can't be in a hurry on a /2, but that's sort of the point. Note I have an R50, which is a dog compared to the R69S

- I'm assuming continual maintenance is high on these bikes with parts being expensive and hard to come by?

I do oil changes every 500-1000 miles as there is no oil filter, but its only a quart and half. The bike is pretty easy to work on once you have a few of the specialty tools, but I wouldn't consider owning one of these unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy the maintenance work. Parts are not really much worse than any new machine and more readily available than they were 10 years ago.

- I know I'm asking the converted here, but are there any glaring issues with owning one of these bikes?

Women just keep throwing themselves at you.

pierce7221

Post by pierce7221 »

- I know I'm asking the converted here, but are there any glaring issues with owning one of these bikes?

geez, where do you live? around here, i get plenty of compliments on my bike, but they're all from middle aged men :|

espenscheid5439

Post by espenscheid5439 »

geez, where do you live? around here, i get plenty of compliments on my bike, but they're all from middle aged men :|

Sorry man, I thought I was on the Ducati forum for a moment.

wetworx

Vintage Bike Questions

Post by wetworx »

LOL, I am on the Ducati forums....I own a monster in fact, so am no stranger to exotic parts and high maintenance....but honestly I rarely (if ever) get any girls throwing themselves at me, in fact most of my lady friends fear for my safety and would prefer I sell it....hehe

saintclair2703

Vintage Bike Questions

Post by saintclair2703 »

Re those solo seats for passengers; I have found them to be the most uncomfortable contraption there is.

BTW- believe it or not, Cycle Trader usually has older Beemers, too.
I deserve a paper plate as strong as I am!

VBMWMO

Vintage Bike Questions

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello I'm very new to BMW vintage bikes, I seem to fancy the post-war era bikes the most, particularly the R-type of 1950's and 1960's...so I had some questions:

- How is the performance in regard to reliability on the road and across distance?

- How would you describe the riding experience?

- I'm assuming continual maintenance is high on these bikes with parts being expensive and hard to come by?

- What are the chances of there being one available for purchase? and for what price (average)?

- What/Where are the best places to look for available bikes? (I don't have access to the forum's classifieds)

Thanks, I'd appreciate any response.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.