If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bike Model on Front Page?

pierce7221

Post by pierce7221 »

looks like an R50 or R60 (1955-1969, although probably closer to 55 than 69 because the later the model, the more likely it was to have a bench seat)

i've got an r50 myself. they're cool :)

unless you mean the logo at the top, which is a 1923 R32, the first bmw motorcycle.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If you mean on the cover of the current Bulletin (eg, the white, single cylinder bike) then it's an R35 (350cc OHV single).

These were built by BMW from 1937-40, and then they were built in East Germany after the war, first with BMW badges and then EMW badges (Eisenach Motoren Werke). BMW had moved motorcycle production to their auto plant in Eisenach from Munich in 1942. After the war, Eisenach ended up in the Soviet sector. They produced bikes until about 1955.

If you go looking to buy one of these bikes, it can be very tricky, because the pre-war, BMW produced bikes are more valuable, so a lot of EMWs have had their serial numbers changed, either in whole, or a later motor added to an earlier frame.
--Darryl Richman

wetworx

Post by wetworx »

Thank you for the posts, oh and just for clarification the image I referred to is at the following: http://www.vintagebmw.org/current/

and I am interested in acquiring one at some point, but right now am only in the exploratory stages of that pursuit =-)

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

new to this forum and was wondering which model bmw is on the current front page? Thanks.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.