If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rear Brake Linkage

Allan.Atherton

Re: Rear Brake Linkage

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... R69S brake linkage... on hard braking the Y shaped linkage that the threaded rod attaches to rotates up into the swingarm as if it flips over in position...
The legs of the Y are unequal. Note which way the Y is installed, remove the Y, touch up any paint that its flipping has scratched on the swing arm, turn the Y around, and reinstall it.

Jordan Nygaard

Figured it out

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

It turns out that the Y linkage can't be turned around as it has unequal arms it also has a taper on the barrel that the bolt goes through. And that arraingment put the entire linkage out of line. It turns out that I had misadjusted the brakes with too much downward movement on the foot peddle so that on hard braking the S cam was turning all the way over causing the Y linkage to snap back enough to flip it upside down.
What a long strange trip it's been

Allan.Atherton

Re: Figured it out

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Hope it continues to work OK. My Y flipped twice until I reversed it.

Jordan Nygaard

Seems to be working

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

The linkage seems to be working so far. While I was in california a couple of weeks back, I compared the linkage setup with two other r69s' that I am pretty sure are original, the layout looked and measured the same, so I guess I will have to wait and see. If it happens again I will definetly give flipping the Y a try.
What a long strange trip it's been

VBMWMO

Rear Brake Linkage

Post by VBMWMO »

I am having a little problem with my 67R69S brake linkage maybe someone can help? Problem is on hard braking the Y shaped linkage that the threaded rod attaches to rotates up into the swingarm as if it flips over in position. It has happened 3 times so far. I have disasembled and reassembled each time. I have set it up so the threaded rod extends 3/4" past the end of the wing nut, the drum lever is at 90 degrees to the ground, the springs are in good shape, the brake lever is adjusted to just touch the underside of the footpeg and has about 2 1/2" of downward travel the brake pads are within proper limits. I suspect that the S cam may be camming over due to wear or am I missing something? Thanks for any info you can provide... Jordan
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.