If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 Specialty Tools

cgw

/2 Specialty Tools

Post by cgw »

I have several /2 bikes I need to work on, and I am trying to locate the specialty tools needed for engine disassembly/assembly etc. I have tried numerous times to get a response from Cycle Works to no avail. Does anybody know their status or know of another source where I can find the tools I need?

schrader7032

Re: /2 Specialty Tools

Post by schrader7032 »

Dan at Cycleworks is a one-man show, so it might take some time to hear back from him. I haven't heard that he's out of business...just that his "real" life has taken priority.

Maybe someone here can be of service. There's no official tool loan program, but members help members when it's feasible. You can use the search box above for "tool loan" and you'll seem some past discussion about.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

gullenj

Post by gullenj »

Hi CGW!

I placed an order with CycleWorks through their web page about a month ago. I received the parts via USPS about 10 days later, no problem.

Hope this helps and best regards!

Jim

cgw

Post by cgw »

Thanks for the information Kurt and Jim, I appreciate it.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Over the past several months I have purchased every tool made by cycleworks for my R26 and all have arrived within about 10 days. A couple of times I asked questions left on voice mail and didn't get answers but ordered the tools anyway and they all arrived on time. 2 weeks ago I ordered the tool to remove the wheel bearing nut and it didn't arrive so I left a voice mail and he did send me an email that it shipped late because of a welding delay. What I will say is the tools are well made and work incredibly well! I was skeptical when I got the puller for the swing arm bearing but it is so clever and works so well I was really impressed. You will not be disappointed with these tools. We get used to the Amazon next day delivery, but I have to keep reminding my self these are old school small business with old school quality providing us goods that aren't from China in a huge warehouse.
Jim

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Yes, you simply "ORDER IT".....no questions asked,or answered!!! :lol: :lol: DAN HAS NO TIME FOR PONTIFICATION!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

I ordered the Transmission Rebuild DVD from Cycleworks. The middle section wouldn't play. I contacted him shortly after it arrived. He didn't get back to me. Months later I contacted him again. By this time I had the transmission apart. A replacement DVD came in the mail when I had the transmission back together. I didn't even test the new one. I would have asked for a refund. Maybe he is the nicest guy in the world and doing great things for BMW enthusiasts, but I am out $50. I bought $700 worth of stuff from the guy and I can't get an email response when there is a problem with his product. I am not too happy.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Pinbill,

This is what I’ve come to expect from him as well. I’ve ordered dozens of his tools over the years and generally had no issues. The tools showed up and there was no communication but it was okay. About 10 months ago my latest order arrived with one missing tool and another tool that hadn’t been properly finished. I politely emailed and called for months. Simply asking when the expensive missing tool would arrive and if he could help with the unfinished tool. After months or zero contact I was able to finish the tool myself and gave up the missing tool and the cash spent for a lost cause. Perhaps 2-3 months later I received an email saying he was sorry but he was busy and the tool I ordered had been out of stock and that he would send one out when it was back in stock. That was 7-8 months ago. I don’t expect to ever receive it.

It’s really a shame as he provides an invaluable resource for most of us who don’t have access to factory tools. I’m not really sure what the appropriate response is at this point. It does seem that generally everything is fine with 9 out of 10 orders but IF you have an issue you’re on your own. So it’s a gamble and I guess it’s one that is mostly worth taking in spite of his shortcomings. At least until a better and more reliable resource comes along.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I was going to get by posting a negative experience with cycle works. He has good will here despite the service. I also had to modify the holes on my transmission flange puller to get the screws to thread. Not too happy about that either. I am not set up for machining. Sorry you lost out. Sending a credit and promising a tool that never comes is the difference between being ethical and being a fraud. Anyway, I am going to stop complaining now in case I need to order something in the future. LOL.

cgw

Post by cgw »

It sounds like mixed reviews. I've gone ahead and placed a order so we'll see what the outcome is. I'm wanting to get started ASAP so hopefully there won't be any problems. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.
CGW